Getting VS402479 when uploading custom process template RRS feed

• Question

• We have a customized version of the Agile template that we've been using since TFS 2013. I have upgraded the template for 2015, which was no big deal. But when I go to upload it I get error "VS402479: You can't overwrite the Agile process template, because it's locked".

I have followed the instructions from https://msdn.microsoft.com/Library/vs/alm/work/customize/update-customized-process-template to upload an updated process template. I have changed the name, description, and minor version strings as described in the documentation.

Here are the values from the metadata node in my ProcessTemplate.xml file:

<name>Custom Agile</name>
    <description>Custom Template based on MSF Agile</description>
    <version type="ADCC42AB-9882-485E-A3ED-7678F01F66BC" major="14" minor="20" />

I have tried changing the major version and the minor versions to different, higher increments, and receive the same error.

If I change the type to a different GUID, the template loads just fine. The instructions imply that the Guid should be the same. I'm assuming this is so TFS knows the relationship between the built-in templates and custom templates they are based on.

I have a bunch of team projects to update the features on once the upgrade is complete and do not want to break the relationship to the built-in Agile process template if I can help it.

Friday, August 14, 2015 5:21 PM

Answers

• If I change the type to a different GUID, the template loads just fine. The instructions imply that the Guid should be the same. I'm assuming this is so TFS knows the relationship between the built-in templates and custom templates they are based on.

I have a bunch of team projects to update the features on once the upgrade is complete and do not want to break the relationship to the built-in Agile process template if I can help it.

hi Jimmie

you can't upload any templates to TFS 2015 having the same version type as one of the predefined process templates (Agile, Scrum, CMMI) as they're now locked down. you need to change version type guid.

your situation is different as you need/want to add missing features to exsting team projects.

you should be able to download the current definition of your team projects using command line tool witadmin.exe, modify the definition and then upload it again. This process does update existing Team Project but not the process template used to create a new Team  Project.

see mport, export, and manage work item types [witadmin]

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, August 17, 2015 11:45 AM

All replies

• Please see this post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31999557/tfs-2015-wont-upload-custom-process-template

The OOB templates in TFS 2015 are now locked. You are not allowed to alter them. By keeping the same Guid assigned to the OOB template, you are attempting to update the OOB template. Changing the Guid makes your custom template a different template and you will be able to upload it.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Friday, August 14, 2015 6:30 PM
  • That SO post is mine. As I commented on the answer in the SO post, the instructions are explicit about what constitutes a unique template (name, and major/minor version).

More specifically, in step 4 of the instructions referenced in my post they say to change the name and minor version numbers and show the out-of-the-box version strings implying that you should keep the major version and Guid the same.

Friday, August 14, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

What's the requirement that you want to override the default template?

Monday, August 17, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Hi Jimmie,

What’s the result if try it with a new team project?

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:01 AM
  • If I change the type to a different GUID, the template loads just fine. The instructions imply that the Guid should be the same. I'm assuming this is so TFS knows the relationship between the built-in templates and custom templates they are based on.

hi Jimmie

you can't upload any templates to TFS 2015 having the same version type as one of the predefined process templates (Agile, Scrum, CMMI) as they're now locked down. you need to change version type guid.

your situation is different as you need/want to add missing features to exsting team projects.

you should be able to download the current definition of your team projects using command line tool witadmin.exe, modify the definition and then upload it again. This process does update existing Team Project but not the process template used to create a new Team  Project.

see mport, export, and manage work item types [witadmin]

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, August 17, 2015 11:45 AM
  • Clearly09,

We have a few customizations including a custom work item that derives from Bug as well as a few additions to the User Story work item type as well as customizations to a few queries and permissions.

That being said, the majority of the process template is the same as MSF Agile. We've tried to keep the customizations light to make it easier to upgrade the process template when MS publishes new versions.

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:28 AM
  • Starain, same result if I use a new team project
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:28 AM
  • Daniel,

Yes, that will work for the existing team projects, but then I'd have update all of the definitions with witadmin for every new team project that is created as well.

I suppose, I could write a tool to automate creating a team project and use witadmin to apply the customizations. At this point though, it seems like I would be better off just changing the guid so I could create team projects with the changes.

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:34 AM
  • Hi Jimmie,

There isn’t the API in TFS API to create a team project. You may track this user voice or submit a new user voice.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 24, 2015 1:56 AM
  • Starain,

Thanks, that's even more reason to just change the guid, for now.

My guess, is that they originally intended derived templates to have the same guid, but the change conflicts with necessary changes for locking the templates down and locking the templates down was a higher priority because it was needed first.

It will be interesting to see how they implement derived template customizations over the next few months, especially with regards to on-premises TFS.

Monday, August 24, 2015 2:06 AM
  • Hi, Daniel, 

Reading your answer is very encouraging. 

Before I am doing what was instructed by your answer, I would like to confirm I understanding it right.

A little bit background of what I am doing here now. 

1. Instead of using WITADMIN (I can not find it in my Visual Studio IDE directory), I am using VS 2017 -> Team - > Team Project Collection Setting -> Process Template Manager.

2. I downloaded the SCRUM template. Edited it. I Changed the name in metadata of the Process Template as follows.

<ProcessTemplate>
      <metadata>
        <name>SG-Scrum</name>

3. Tried to upload it but get a VS402479 error message. 

According to your answer, should I just get a new GUID (whatever GUID I got from "Tools->Create GUID" ?) and put it to the metadata? And then just upload it again?

Should I change the major and minor too? 

This will be creating a new project template and at the same time to be applied to my current project?

Thanks very much for your kind advice. 

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:58 PM