Windows Easy Transfer going from the developer preview windows 8 back to windows 7 is there a way to get

Question

• Windows 7 to read the files created under the windows 8 preview???
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:39 PM

All replies

• Have you tried it? Do you get an error message? From what I know you can read 32Bit Transfer files with a 64bit Windows, but not 64Bit files under a 32Bit Windows.

So if your Windows 8 DP is 64Bit, you also need a 64Bit Windows 7 to open the data.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Hello a247Slcaker,

Were you able to get the data from Windows Easy Transfer?

If not, please provide any error message you receive when using the Easy Transfer tool.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Have you tried it? Do you get an error message? From what I know you can read 32Bit Transfer files with a 64bit Windows, but not 64Bit files under a 32Bit Windows

Hello Andre.Ziegler,
    I have Windows7 32Bit as well as WDP 64Bit installed in dual boot on my desktop, can view/alter before and after I transfer files to and from each other fairly regularly. No error messages either. Or do you mean something else?
    Irfan
    Friday, February 03, 2012 5:19 PM
  • If I collect data from a 64Bit Windows 7 I can't import the data into a 32Bit Windows 7. Have you tried this? Collecting data on 64Bit Windows and import them into a 32Bit Windows? Is this now possible with Windows 8?

Saturday, February 04, 2012 3:31 PM
  • It's possible in WDP, but I haven't tried it in Windows7. I can copy data from WDP x64 and use it to view and edit in Windows7 x86, the OS's are used in dual boot on my desktop.
    Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Monday, February 06, 2012 4:18 PM grammar
    Monday, February 06, 2012 4:12 PM
  • It's possible in WDP, but I haven't tried it in Windows7. I can copy data from WDP x64 and use it to view and edit in Windows7 x86, the OS's are used in dual boot on my desktop.
    Irfan
    which data? I talk about the MIG file from Windows EasyTransfer. With a 32Bit Windows7 you can't import the file file from a 64Bit Windows 7. Have you tested this with Windows 8 (collecting transfer data from 64Bit Win8 and import them into a 32Bit Windows 8)?

Monday, February 06, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Hello Andre.Ziegler,

I was talking about a situation when I am working on Windows7x32 but want data from WDPx64 to view / edit, I go to that drive, copy the files needed and use them without knowing the difference. That's the reason I asked, ' Or do you mean something else?'

Thanks, that info on MIG file was useful.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:27 AM language
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:19 AM