MS SQL 2016 AlwaysON RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have just configured MSSQL 2016 AlwaysOn with 3 node cluster. 1 Primary and a secondary that sits at Production side with automatic failover and another secondary at DR site with manual failover. We have another witness server configured on Production side.

We have tested the configuration and the failover was successful.

My question is what happens when my entire DC goes down including witness. Can I make the only server available now that sits in DR as Production by manually and connect the application?

Early reply will be highly appreciated

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Ronak_dba,

If the entire DC goes down including witness, in this scenario, we can only operate Forcing Failover.

A Planned Manual Failover requires ensureing that no new user transactions occur on the original primary databases, this will need the WSFC cluster sends a request to the primary replica to go offline. Because the cluster has been down, we cannot operate a manual failover.

For more information, please refer to this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/alwaysonpro/2014/03/04/manual-failover-of-availability-group-to-disaster-recovery-site-in-multi-site-cluster/

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Teige Gao Wednesday, July 19, 2017 9:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:49 AM