Hosting recommendations RRS feed

• Question

• User-1564184400 posted

Hi everyone - I know this forum is kinda dead lately - and many have moved onto 3.1 beta - but I'm working with 2.0 and have just done tons of customization and am ready to go live.  I tried hosting on GoDaddy - with zero luck.  Overall I found their interface to be extremely overcomplicated - with far too many different control panels and popups to different management consoles etc.  Besides that, which is annoying but not really the main problem, I simply couldn't get my site up and running there.  Even though I paid extra and got everything I think I needed (MSSQL etc) I kept getting errors.  I tried to turn custom errors on and got nothing - I couldn't de-bug or even come close to figuring out where to start to track down my problems.  Their tech support personnel were completely useless - honestly - there wasn't a soul there who even knew where to start tracing a bug.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I should go to host my site?  I don't expect to need massive disk space, but like the idea of having a decent size to start with (a 50 mb SQL database doesn't cut it then an extra $10/mo is kinda crazy).  I've just signed up with gate.com, but already am starting to feel this was a mistake since I can't get much traction.  I've also looked at discountasp.net - but this looks a bit hokey.

Thoughts??  HELP!!

Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:45 AM

All replies

• User2130758966 posted

Hey,

If you are getting errors straight away then this is normally a problem with your web.config.

I agree that the godaddy interface is horrible. I would suggest taking it one step at a time and trying to get a basic page working then putting your real site on there.

discountasp.net is one of the main american asp.net hosts and although they have a horrible website they are a generally respected host. I haven't used them because I am based in the UK. You shouldn't have to change your web host to get the site working.

Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:57 PM
  • User-447657412 posted

For all of my asp.net websites I've been creating I've been using webhost for life here:

Join WebHost4Life.com

They have plenty of asp.net tools including plug-ins for the Club Starter Kit, DotNetNuke, Classifieds Starter Kit, TimeTracker, Personal, nopCommerce and others and the prices are good.  They are also moving to a new platform that will be faster and easier to use.

These are the sites that I use with them:

Cranston Cal Ripken Baseball

stevespad.com

Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:17 PM