none
Creating a single-click over-the-air application setup file RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I've been working on this problem for 3 straight days, and I'm beginning to think that there's no solution. 

I have an application that I would like to be able to download from my website FROM my mobile device.  

I have tried creating a custom installer, but it requires active sync to be used.  Are there tools or work arounds to get this done?

So basically, I have a cab file and a setup.ini file (necessary?) that I need to fire up without having to go into my downloads and clicking the CAB. 

That works great except it doesn't support Over-The-Air setup. 

Anyone have any idea what I can do?  Is it not possible?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:30 PM

Answers

•  
    First ensure that your web server presents the cab file with the correct MIME type.  If it is a Windows server then the MIME type is correct.  If there are custom actions that you need to perform you can create a native DLL called CESetup.DLL to perform the actions.  It will need to expose four functions (Install_Init, Install_Exit, Uninstall_Init, Uninstall_Exit).  You can find more information of the requirements for this DLL on MSDN.

If you continue to have problems then please post the details of the failures you encounter.
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Twitter:J2iNET
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:09 AM