none
What's possible with Add-ins/ Apps for PowerPoint? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having trouble finding the best documentation on what's possible to do with the newest Add-in technology when it comes to PowerPoint development.

Could someone point me to an overview for PowerPoint Add-in development?

How flexible is the PowerPoint add-ins? If I have a task pane add-in, would it be possible for me to select a paragraph in a textbox and then get the formatting that is set in this paragraph? (fontsize, fontcolor, line spacing ++)?

Monday, August 8, 2016 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi P43R0,

First of all I want to confirm with you which Addin Technology you are talking about.

you did not mentioned the name of it. you just mentioned that Latest technology.

Note:- You can do almost everything by Addin that you can perform by user Interface of Powerpoint.

let me first clear you that there are 3 types of Addins you can develop with Powerpoint.

(1) Powerpoint Addin File 

that have .ppam extension. that uses VBA for code behind and you can create a Form, modules in that.

you can use Powerpoint Object Model.

(2) VSTO Powerpoint Addin

with the help of Visual Studio you can try to make a VSTO Addin in VB.Net or C# language.

you can get methods and properties of powerpoint by Powerpoint object model and you can also able to use the object oriented features of VB and C#. it is limited to windows platform only.

(3) App Office Addin

if you want to cross platform support or want to develop Addin that can run in Browser on internet or in Online office Apps then you can try to develop these Addin. it is also used JavaScript. and can also support on Mac. but the functionality are limited.

You had asked you want to make a Task Pane. so you can able to make task pane in second and third type of Addin.

you had mentioned that you want to select a paragraph in a textbox and then get the formatting that is set in this paragraph? (fontsize, fontcolor, line spacing ++).

yes, you can achieve these functionality in all type of Addins mentioned above.

Here , Following are the link of documentations of that with the help of that you can know what you can achieve by which type of addin, you can know about its methods, properties, events, examples and description of that.

Object model (PowerPoint VBA reference)

Walkthrough: Creating Your First VSTO Add-in for PowerPoint

Create content and task pane add-ins for PowerPoint

there are many more documentation is available.

Hope form this you can able to clarify your requirement and can able select best Addin type for your project that can fulfil your requirement.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi P43R0,

First of all I want to confirm with you which Addin Technology you are talking about.

you did not mentioned the name of it. you just mentioned that Latest technology.

Note:- You can do almost everything by Addin that you can perform by user Interface of Powerpoint.

let me first clear you that there are 3 types of Addins you can develop with Powerpoint.

(1) Powerpoint Addin File 

that have .ppam extension. that uses VBA for code behind and you can create a Form, modules in that.

you can use Powerpoint Object Model.

(2) VSTO Powerpoint Addin

with the help of Visual Studio you can try to make a VSTO Addin in VB.Net or C# language.

you can get methods and properties of powerpoint by Powerpoint object model and you can also able to use the object oriented features of VB and C#. it is limited to windows platform only.

(3) App Office Addin

if you want to cross platform support or want to develop Addin that can run in Browser on internet or in Online office Apps then you can try to develop these Addin. it is also used JavaScript. and can also support on Mac. but the functionality are limited.

You had asked you want to make a Task Pane. so you can able to make task pane in second and third type of Addin.

you had mentioned that you want to select a paragraph in a textbox and then get the formatting that is set in this paragraph? (fontsize, fontcolor, line spacing ++).

yes, you can achieve these functionality in all type of Addins mentioned above.

Here , Following are the link of documentations of that with the help of that you can know what you can achieve by which type of addin, you can know about its methods, properties, events, examples and description of that.

Object model (PowerPoint VBA reference)

Walkthrough: Creating Your First VSTO Add-in for PowerPoint

Create content and task pane add-ins for PowerPoint

there are many more documentation is available.

Hope form this you can able to clarify your requirement and can able select best Addin type for your project that can fulfil your requirement.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for a solid answer. I'm sorry that I was unclear in what type of add-in I was talking about; I thought I was posting in a related forum.

I'm interested in functinality for the App Office Addins for PowerPoint.

If you have more documentation on App Office Addins for PowerPoint I'd really appreciate that! You say that the functionality I am looking for is available in App Office Addins for PowerPoint, but I really can't seem to figure out how to change a simple setting as the font size or color on a selected paragraph in a text box.

To me it only seems possible to read text from a selection and enter plain text into a text box. Could you confirm that there's more possibilities regarding text formatting with App Office Addins for Powerpoint?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi p43R0,

As you are developing with App for office Addin and this forum is not related with that and does not handle the issue regarding that.

so my knowledge regarding App For Office Addin is limited. I had find the link below may help you.

Use document themes in your PowerPoint add-ins

For more precise suggestion I would recommend you to raise this issue on App For Office Powerpoint Forum.

here I think that your original issue regarding Powerpoint Addin is solved now so if you think that your issue is solved then you can help to close this thread.

Regards

Deepak 

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:11 AM
  • Thanks. 

The link you posted only shows how to take use of the presentations theme settings in the add-in pane. Not how to update the theme or presentation formatting with an Add-in. But I understand this is the wrong forum.. :)

Do you have a link to the correct forum for my questions?

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Hi p43Ro,

Following is the link for the App for Office Forum.

Developing Apps For Office

Regards

Deepak

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:51 PM