none
Code First Migrations documentation RRS feed

• Question

• Where is the documentation of Code First Migrations?

I find multiple questions asking about Code First Migrations but I really can't find documentation of it. The Entity Framework Code First Migrations is where I would expect to see a description of migrations but that is a walkthrough and walkthroughs seldom explain much; that one certainly does not. Entity Framework Code First Migrations is another walkthrough; it has a bit more of an explanation but not much.

I don't find very much that explains what migrations actually are; what they actually do. As best as I determine, the main thing that migrations do is to generate code. Databases are generated when needed by the generated code. The name "Add-Migration" seems misleading to me. Other comments say that migrations migrate data to the new table and that they generate scripts to apply schema changes but it is not very clear what they do.

I am not asking for clarification of anything except where the documentation is at.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, September 3, 2017 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In the MDSN documentation I did not find anything about Code First Migrations, except for the links you provided.

I suspect that you can find the Code First Migrations documentationfrom MSDN, since Microsoft did not provide it to us.

Best Regards,

Bob

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Simple Samples Monday, September 4, 2017 5:58 PM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In the MDSN documentation I did not find anything about Code First Migrations, except for the links you provided.

I suspect that you can find the Code First Migrations documentationfrom MSDN, since Microsoft did not provide it to us.

Best Regards,

Bob

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Simple Samples Monday, September 4, 2017 5:58 PM
    Monday, September 4, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Thank you, Bob. At least we know we sometimes need to ask questions in forums.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, September 4, 2017 5:58 PM