OneDrive API 2.0 & Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit confused as to the best way to access Sharepoint sites/document libraries hosted on Office 365 via API. The OneDrive V2 API [https://dev.onedrive.com/] suggests that this is a unified API that includes support for Sharepoint, but I can't figure out how you get at anything other than OneDrive content.

It seems I'd want to use all this info as a starting point

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/fp142380.aspx

But what I'd like to avoid is implementing support for the Sharepoint API if it's about to get deprecated or merged into the OneDrive API.

Could somebody give me an overview?

Thursday, March 3, 2016 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Though with Microsoft Graph(previously called Office 365 unified API), we can access Microsoft cloud services(like users, groups, mail, messages, calendars, tasks, and notes coming from services like Outlook, OneDrive, Azure Active Directory, Planner, OneNote and others) through a single REST API endpoint:

https://graph.microsoft.io/en-us/docs

However, there still many resources in SharePoint which can only be accessed by SharePoint API only, moreover, there is no official announcements about combining all SharePoint APIs into Microsoft Graph currently.

Thus, my opinion is, you can still use SharePoint API without worrying about whether it will get deprecated in the future.

Best regards,

Patrick Liang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Dennis Guo Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dennis Guo Monday, March 21, 2016 8:11 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2016 3:37 AM
  • The graph/onedrive api is for a particular user's documents, notes etc. Onedrive translates into a user's My Site documents. If you want to access files outside of My Site/Onedrive you must use the SharePoint REST API. This API will not be deprecated.

Blog | SharePoint Field Notes Dev Tools | SPFastDeploy | SPRemoteAPIExplorer

Saturday, March 5, 2016 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Though with Microsoft Graph(previously called Office 365 unified API), we can access Microsoft cloud services(like users, groups, mail, messages, calendars, tasks, and notes coming from services like Outlook, OneDrive, Azure Active Directory, Planner, OneNote and others) through a single REST API endpoint:

https://graph.microsoft.io/en-us/docs

However, there still many resources in SharePoint which can only be accessed by SharePoint API only, moreover, there is no official announcements about combining all SharePoint APIs into Microsoft Graph currently.

Thus, my opinion is, you can still use SharePoint API without worrying about whether it will get deprecated in the future.

Best regards,

Patrick Liang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:37 AM
  • The graph/onedrive api is for a particular user's documents, notes etc. Onedrive translates into a user's My Site documents. If you want to access files outside of My Site/Onedrive you must use the SharePoint REST API. This API will not be deprecated.

Blog | SharePoint Field Notes Dev Tools | SPFastDeploy | SPRemoteAPIExplorer

Saturday, March 5, 2016 6:58 PM