Error during Upgrade advisor Progress >> "Requested registry access is not allowed. (mscorlib)" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I have  installed  " SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Advisor" successfully on my local system. A Successfull connection was establised to SQL Server insatnce  on Remote Server through Upgrade Advisor ,On click of Run  below error is raised

===================================

Requested registry access is not allowed. (mscorlib)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
       at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
       at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.SqlDetection.GetClusterInfo()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.SqlDetection.GetSqlInstances()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.SqlDetection.EngineExists()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.AnalyzerEngine.GetAnalyzer(AnalyzerType analyzerType)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.AnalyzerEngine.RunAnalyzer(AnalyzerType analyzerType, String& reportFile)

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:56 AM

Answers

•  sorry I cannot use the login ceredential as administrator on Server. Any alternative solution or any setting on server or local  to able to run the upgrade advisor.
    No you have to run it as administrator. Ask somebody else who is admin on machine to run it for you.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Marked as answer by Fabcoder Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:19 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:02 AM

All replies

• I hope you have made sure that if your instance is 64 bit you are running 64 bit version of upgrade advisor. Can you give some more details about error ? which version and edition of SQL Server you are trying to upgrade ?

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Monday, December 1, 2014 12:03 PM
  •  Yes  instance and upgrade advisor version are same (64 bit ).edition of SQL Server is   Enterprise Edition (64-bit)

Upgrading from  SQL Server 2008 to SQL server 2012.

1) provided with Server Name  and  component  SQL SERVER was Checked.

2) Clicked on Next , Instance Name and SQL Server Authentication  was selected.

3) Login Ceredentials provided and Clicked on Next.

4) Only one Database to analyze was checked and Clicked Next.

5) On Click of Run below error occured.

On click of Advance Information of error   >> ALL Messages :

===================================

Requested registry access is not allowed. (mscorlib)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.AnalyzerEngine.GetAnalyzer(AnalyzerType analyzerType)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.UpgradeAdvisor.AnalyzerEngine.RunAnalyzer(AnalyzerType analyzerType, String& reportFile)

Log file Error Message :

12/01/2014 17:17:47 UA <Error>System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
    MyComputer</Error>

• Edited by Fabcoder Monday, December 1, 2014 12:32 PM
    Monday, December 1, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Have you made sure you are an administrator on Server(windows box) where you are running the upgrade advisor. Can you make sure you run the upgrade advisor as administrator. Again What version of SQL Server you are trying to upgrade to 2012 ?

As er error message security exception is coming which makes me think you dont have sufficient rights to run the upgrade advisor. Your account needs to be administrator on windows box

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Proposed as answer by Michelle Li Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Fabcoder Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:49 AM
    Monday, December 1, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Upgrading from  SQL Server 2008 to SQL server 2012. Yeah I will try login as administrator .
    • Edited by Fabcoder Monday, December 1, 2014 1:06 PM
    Monday, December 1, 2014 1:06 PM
  •  sorry I cannot use the login ceredential as administrator on Server. Any alternative solution or any setting on server or local  to able to run the upgrade advisor.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:49 AM
    No you have to run it as administrator. Ask somebody else who is admin on machine to run it for you.

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Marked as answer by Fabcoder Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:19 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:02 AM