none
Changes in the latest NDIS versions RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any documentation of the changes that were introduced in NDIS 6.50 and 6.60? The online documentation that I've found ends at NDIS 6.40 (--> NDIS versions).
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 10:26 AM

All replies

• After 20 years of having the best documentation in the WDK, it appears that the networking team has decided that is too much of a burden to bear any longer. What you see is what there is :-(

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Some more interesting stuff. NET_PNP_EVENT description contains one of the few references to NDIS 6.50 in the online documentation. However, it appears incorrect(?). It describes an addition of 4 new events:

NetEventInhibitBindsAbove
    NetEventAllowBindsAbove
    NetEventRequirePause
    NetEventAllowStart

This event is available starting with NDIS version 6.50 and must be used with V2 or later version of NET_PNP_EVENT. 
    This event can optionally be issued by a miniport driver. Protocols and filters cannot receive this event or issue it.
    NET_PNP_EVENT is related to Protocol drivers, miniports don't even have an appropriate API to invoke it.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:17 AM
  • NET_PNP_EVENT is related to Protocol drivers, miniports don't even have an appropriate API to invoke it.

I'm not an NDIS expert, but can't a miniport driver "issue" these events by calling NdisMNetPnPEvent? The NET_PNP_EVENT description does not claim that a miniport driver could "receive" these events, so it seems correct to me.

Friday, September 9, 2016 4:29 PM

• I'm not an NDIS expert, but can't a miniport driver "issue" these events by calling NdisMNetPnPEvent? The NET_PNP_EVENT description does not claim that a miniport driver could "receive" these events, so it seems correct to me.

Sounds very reasonable. NET_PNP_EVENT is listed only under protocol driver structures and NdisMNetPnPEvent description states that miniports can use it only to indicate NetEventPortActivation and NetEventPortDeactivation. I suppose this inconsistency is related to the lack of documentation for NDIS 6.50.
    Friday, September 9, 2016 6:57 PM