MDS vs. Warehouse RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning everyone.

I've been looking into MDS for the first time as it seems to be building some traction.  The biggest question I have right now (and this may because I'm new to the platform) is why use MDS instead of a well design traditional warehouse?  One of the main workflows listed on technet is modeling a business process, which is basically data modeling.  All of that translates to warehouse in my mind.

Does MDS abstract the ETL process associated with warehousing?  If so, is an actual database created to store data from all of the different sources, or is metadata used to describe the location of the data and they still resides in the original sources?

Any insight into this would be great.  If anyone has links to some technical details on MDS or white papers that would help too.

Thanks.

Senior Software Lead - Net Fusion Corporation
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Check out these two MDS presentations.

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/mds_team/archive/2010/08/02/recorded-mds-presentations-available-at-tech-ed-online.aspx

I think the second one Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Dimension Management with Master Data Services (MDS) [BIE02-INT] is just what you are looking for.

HTH,
    Brian Barnett - MSFT
    SQL Server MDS Team

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Brian,

Thanks for the links.  I watched most of the video you recommended, it was very helpful. 

The understanding I have now is that MDS is sort of like a very enhanced data staging area for dimensional data.  It's enhanced to the point of consolidating data from operational sources and providing a means by which the data can be augmented to provide BI that cannot be derived from operational sources alone. 

Of course there are all of the other features as well like auditing, history tracking, API's, etc...  Data staging on steroids.

Thanks again.

Senior Software Lead - Net Fusion Corporation
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Glad it helped.  Yes, there are many, many more features.  Consolidating data is just one of the things MDS can do.  MDS can be a System of Record (SOR), a System of Entry (SOE), or both for various types of information.  And with business rules the data can be validated to ensure accuracy and it can be used to create reporting hierarchies before it is moved to the warehouse.

Thanks!

Brian Barnett - MSFT
    SQL Server MDS Team

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:50 PM