none
How to update custom properties of a package (Word, Excel) without using Ooxml SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to change the value of a custom property of a Package (Word or Excel documents) using plain C# and XLinq instead of Ooxml SDK.  However, it corrupts the file and does not reflect the change in the package.

Can someone please suggest what is incorrect here?

Package package = null;
                try
                {
                    package = Package.Open("NewCustomProp.docx", FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.ReadWrite);
                    foreach (var packagePart in package.GetParts())
                    {
                        if (packagePart.ContentType == "application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.custom-properties+xml")
                        {
                            var packageStream = packagePart.GetStream(FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.ReadWrite);
                            using (StreamReader streamReader = new StreamReader(packageStream))
                            {
                                try
                                {
                                    string ns = "http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/custom-properties";
                                    XDocument xDocument = XDocument.Parse(streamReader.ReadToEnd());
                                    var properties = xDocument.Descendants(XName.Get("property", ns)).Where(x => x.Attribute(XName.Get("name")).Value == "NewCustomProp").ToList();
                                    if (properties.Count > 0)
                                    {
                                        foreach (var currentProperty in properties)
                                        {
                                            var valueNode = currentProperty.Descendants().First();
                                            valueNode.Value = "This is new value of Custom Property";
                                        }

StringBuilder innerXmlSB = new StringBuilder();
                                        xDocument.Nodes().ToList().ForEach(node => innerXmlSB.Append(node.ToString()));
                                        string innerXml = innerXmlSB.ToString();
                                        byte[] buffer = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(innerXml);
                                        packageStream.Write(buffer, 0, buffer.Length);

//tried this as well
                                        //xDocument.Save(packageStream);
                                    }
                                }
                                catch (Exception ex)
                                {
                                    Debug.WriteLine(ex.ToString());
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                    package.Flush();
                }
                finally
                {
                    package.Close();
                }

Thanks in anticipation!

Punit Ganshani | www.ganshani.com

Thursday, August 9, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I have reproduced your issue with the code but no luck. My word file is also corrupt and can not be opened. This is a quich note to tell you that I will do further research on the issue. Much appreciated for your patience and understanding. Moreover, I recommand you a thread I think would be helpful. Maybe you can find some useful suggestions with your question.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195425

Have a good day.

Best Regards,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:53 AM