Why does TFS tell me one thing, but hide the truth from me??? RRS feed

• Question

• We're working with TFS 2015, on premise. I'm on a team of developers, using TFS for our development. I had about 10 files checked out, doing edits to them. Then I was ready to check them in. We're also using VS 2015 Enterprise Edition. I went to Team Explorer within VS and clicked on the Pending Changes button. I fully expect that to show me every file I have checked out that I've made changes to.

I checked everything in, then got out of Visual Studio.

I've been working on other things, but not in VS.

So then my colleagues are saying that code I've checked in is missing?! What the heck is going on????? I checked that in.

But no, when I got back into VS I see 2 files still checked out. So I click on the main one and then right clicked on it. VS shows me both that file and the code behind to check in. I had thought I'd done thing hours before. Why wasn't this checked in previously???

That still didn't fix it. There were still two other files in different locations, that I still had checked out. I don't why I didn't see this before? Why, when I clicked on the Pending Changes button it didn't show them to me. This still is a relatively small solution with maybe 50 files in two projects. But what happens if its hundreds of files in a dozen or more projects? How do I go to Team Explorer in VS 2015, click on Pending Changes and have TFS show me every single file I've modified and not yet checked in?

Rod

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

Could you reproduce that issue with a new project?

Are these files on the Excluded Changes section? If so, please check working folders in edit workspace window.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:52 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:09 AM
  • No, unfortunately. However I've also just installed Update 2 for VS 2015, which seems to have resolved the problem.

Rod

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:52 PM
  • I'd suggest using tf.exe from the command prompt and removing the VS TFS extension. That had solved many of my problems, including repeated data loss.

The VS TFS plug-in is as reliable as the C# Text editor squigglies, it works most of the time but unreliable.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Friday, April 15, 2016 2:04 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

For this issue, I think it is related to the workspace. Please check whether you select the correct workspace in Pending Changes window.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Hi Starain,

I'm certain that I'm using the same workspace. I never change my workspace.

Rod

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Hi Rod,

Could you reproduce that issue with a new project?

Are these files on the Excluded Changes section? If so, please check working folders in edit workspace window.

Regards

Starain

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:52 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:09 AM
  • No, unfortunately. However I've also just installed Update 2 for VS 2015, which seems to have resolved the problem.

Rod

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:52 PM
  • I'd suggest using tf.exe from the command prompt and removing the VS TFS extension. That had solved many of my problems, including repeated data loss.

The VS TFS plug-in is as reliable as the C# Text editor squigglies, it works most of the time but unreliable.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Friday, April 15, 2016 2:04 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:37 PM