none
How can I create afStorage/ATTACH_OLE -method message attachment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm developing program that analyzes .pst/.ost files and it is said in specs, that Attachment Object property PidTagAttachMethod can have one of different values including 0x6 - ATTACH_OLE. But I could not create pst with message and attachment with such a property via Outlook 2013.

So, how can I?

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Aleksei, when you are composing a new e-mail in Outlook the first (and most important) thing you need to do is to set the body format to Rich Text (Format Text -> Rich Text). After that, use the Insert -> Object option and choose something like a PowerPoint or Word file, new or existing shouldn't matter. When the e-mail is sent it should attach the embedded object using the afStorage (0x6, ATTACH_OLE ) method.

Please let me know if this answers your question. Thank you.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Aleksei,

Thank you for your question. One of our protocols engineers will respond shortly.

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Hi Aleksei, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 10:12 PM
  • Hi Aleksei, when you are composing a new e-mail in Outlook the first (and most important) thing you need to do is to set the body format to Rich Text (Format Text -> Rich Text). After that, use the Insert -> Object option and choose something like a PowerPoint or Word file, new or existing shouldn't matter. When the e-mail is sent it should attach the embedded object using the afStorage (0x6, ATTACH_OLE ) method.

Please let me know if this answers your question. Thank you.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Yes, this answers my question. I had it done inserted MS Office objects, but setting Rich Text format is crucial for the purpose.

Thank you very much.

Aleksei Alefirov.

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:31 PM