none
search function in IDE -- VS 2008 professional, win7

Question

• I was working on an old project (in VC) and suddenly I find the find & replace function just goes into deep space. No dialog to set search string. I am talking just about the IDE (i.e. searching for "apple" in test.cpp)

I tried going back to the development environment of 1 month ago. No improvement. How can I lose a basic editing function in the development environment? Am I doing something dumb? Not the first time for that!

I am using Win 7 (have not upgraded to W10 yet, but I have the download) also will it help to upgrade to VS 2015?

I do not use MFC. (rewrite 20  years of projects) I don't want to upgrade to VS 2015 if I have to use MFC

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hi spywriter,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ development. For your case, I will move it to vs general for better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 5:58 AM
  • Hi spywriter,

Thanks for your post.

>>I find the find & replace function just goes into deep space. No dialog to set search string.

Generally we could find the find & replace function in Edit menu->Find and Replace, can you find this option under Edit menu?

Also we could use shortcut (Ctrl+F, Ctrl+H) to open the find & replace dialog.

If you can't find the option under Edit, please reset the settings of your Visual Studio. (Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset all settings).

In addition, actually VS2008 is really a little old, if possible, I suggest you try to use a new VS version such as VS2013 or VS2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Thanks. I am indeed aware of edit> find & replace and ctrl+ F. & have used this function  a million times in 20 years. Maybe my original question was unclear. The point is that the function was working and no longer works! I am thinking of upgrading to VS 2015. Will this help? Mike
    Tuesday, September 06, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Have you tried resetting the settings of your VS2008 Pro?

>>I am thinking of upgrading to VS 2015. Will this help?

Yes, upgrade your Visual Studio to VS2015 will help. Please upgrade your Visual Studio at first. You can download the Visual Studio 2015 in the site below:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, September 07, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Any update about your issue, did you install the VS2015? Does the problem solved when using VS2015?

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, September 09, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Lake, thanks for your efforts, but I am at present moving house which means that for a few days at least, I will have no access to my desktop and no high speed internet. I won't be back to this forum for about a week, but you can be sure I'll be back!

Because of preparing the move I have not yet had a chance to get VS 2015 and win 10, but both are in my near future.

Watch this space,

Mike.

Friday, September 09, 2016 9:05 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Any update about this case? Have your tried using VS2015 ?

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, September 19, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hi Lake,

I'm sorry,

I'm still surrounded by boxes and I won't be able to get back to computer stuff for probably a week yet. I do appreciate your reminder though, and will not fail to update you.

One question though. How do I update to VS 2015? Is there a cost?

Mike.

Monday, September 19, 2016 1:54 PM
  • Hi Mike,

>>One question though. How do I update to VS 2015? Is there a cost?

No, Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 3 is a free, fully featured.  You can download VS2015 Community there:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:12 AM
  • Hi Lake,

Sorry, moving house and episode of illness. I got around to installing VS2015 tonight but I got

Errors 0x80200010, 0x80072efe, or 0x80072ee7 - Connectivity issue during download

Also, it seems that this install gets me only a 90 day subscription

Can you help please?

By the way, before installing VS2015 I reloaded the problem project in VS 2008 and the IDE still had the error with the search function.

Thanks, Mike.

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:55 AM
  • Hi Mike,

>>Also, it seems that this install gets me only a 90 day subscription

Visual Studio 2015 Community is a free version, you only need to register a Microsoft account and sign in it. Then the 90 days prompt up will disappear.

>>For this issue, Errors 0x80200010, 0x80072efe, or 0x80072ee7 - Connectivity issue during download

Please tell me what's your windows system and have installed other version of Visual Studio on your machine?

Please restart your machine and disable the antivirus and install the VS2015 Community again.

If still has no help, please help to collect the installation logs and share here:

please use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, October 31, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Hi Lake!

I haven't gotten any further with installing VS2015 My original problem re the search function has disappeared so I have less motivation, that's true, and although I downloaded Win10, I haven't installed it yet.

I'll get around to it sometime soon, and report here.

Thanks, Mike.

Monday, November 21, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Latest news:

I disabled bitdefender and reinstalled.

message re VS2015 successfully installed, but no evidence an install even happened, no icon on the desktop etc.

PS, separate problem? >

I wanted to see if I could recover my project from a backup but the drivs is no longer recognised by windows. Probably nothing to do with the VS2015 install problem.

PPS, Win 7 backup & restore has no warning when backup is not completed d.t. a full disk.

Mike.

• Edited by spywriter Monday, November 21, 2016 9:05 AM added details
    Monday, November 21, 2016 8:57 AM