none
EventHandler on docB is lost when docA is closed / EventHandler does not register on reopen of docB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I am using Visual Studio 2012 for development of a Word 2010 application Add-In.

My application Add-In is registering an EventHandler when a document is opened.

This does not always work as I would expect.

Example 1, EventHandler on documentB.docx is lost when documentA.docx is closed

Open documentA.docx -- EventHandler is registered and event fires happily away on documentA.dox.

Open documentB.docx -- EventHandler is registered and event fires happily away on documentB.dox.

Close documentA.docx -- Event does not fire anymore on documentB.docx that still is open.

Example 2, event does not fire on documents that are reopened in the same Word instance

Open documentA.docx -- EventHandler is registered and event fires happily away.

Open documentB.docx -- EventHandler is registered and event fires happily away.

Close documentB.dox and reopen it -- EventHandler is registered (at least the code runs through without throwing an exception), but event does not fire on documentB.docx. It still fires on documentA.docx though.

This is what I call on DocumentOpen(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document doc):

Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.Document vstoDoc = Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(doc);
    vstoDoc.BeforeDoubleClick += new Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.ClickEventHandler(ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick);

Does somebody know what I am doing wrong and how I could do better?

Thanks in advance, kind regards

Nora

Sunday, June 5, 2016 4:25 PM

Answers

• >>>Did you already find a workaround or even a solution?

You could modify your codes like below:
    private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
        Application.DocumentOpen += new ApplicationEvents4_DocumentOpenEventHandler(ThisAddIn_DocumentOpen);
        Application.DocumentBeforeClose += new ApplicationEvents4_DocumentBeforeCloseEventHandler(ThisAddIn_DocumentBeforeClose);
    }

private void ThisAddIn_DocumentOpen(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document doc)
    {
        (Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Application.ActiveDocument)).BeforeDoubleClick += ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick;
    }

private void ThisAddIn_DocumentBeforeClose(Word.Document Doc, ref bool Cancel)
    {
        (Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Application.ActiveDocument)).BeforeDoubleClick -= ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick;
    }

private void ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick(object sender, Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.ClickEventArgs e)
    {
        MessageBox.Show("Before doubleclick");
    }

• Marked as answer by nora.sailer Friday, July 8, 2016 8:00 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi nora.sailer,

According to your description, when you programmatically create or open a document at run time by using the Word, the item is not a host item. Instead, the new object is a native Office object. For example, if you use the M:Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Documents.Add(System.Object@,System.Object@,System.Object@,System.Object@) method to create a new Word document at run time, it will be a native Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document object rather than a Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.Document host item.

If you want to generate a host item for a Word document, you could refer to below code:
    if (Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.Documents.Count > 0)
    {
        Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document nativeDocument =
            Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument;
        Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.Document vstoDocument =
            Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(nativeDocument);
    }

So I suggest that you could modify your code like below:
    Document vstoDoc = Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(this.Application.ActiveDocument);
    vstoDoc.BeforeDoubleClick += new Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.ClickEventHandler(ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick);
    For more information, click here to refer about Programmatic Limitations of Host Items and Host Controls and here to refer about Document.BeforeDoubleClick Event

Monday, June 6, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi David

Thanks for you reply. Unfortunately, the modification you suggest does not change the behaviour I describe above.

I created a new Application project for easier reproduction of the problem. This is the only code, in ThisAddIn.cs:

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;
    using System.Xml.Linq;
    using Office = Microsoft.Office.Core;
    using Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word;
    using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word;
    using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace TestBeforeDoubleClick
    {
        public partial class ThisAddIn
        {
            {
              Application.DocumentOpen += new ApplicationEvents4_DocumentOpenEventHandler(ThisAddIn_DocumentOpen);
            }

private void ThisAddIn_Shutdown(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
            }

{
              Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.Document vstoDoc = Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Application.ActiveDocument);
            }

private void ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick(object sender, Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word.ClickEventArgs e)
            {
            }

#region VSTO generated code

/// <summary>
            /// Required method for Designer support - do not modify
            /// the contents of this method with the code editor.
            /// </summary>
            private void InternalStartup()
            {
                this.Startup += new System.EventHandler(ThisAddIn_Startup);
                this.Shutdown += new System.EventHandler(ThisAddIn_Shutdown);
            }

#endregion
        }
    }

Any other suggestions?

Actually, for the time being, I only need the doubleclick on ContentControls. That's why I first tried to react to the OnEnter event of the ContentControl. But this event is also triggered by code, and I only want to react to it when it is triggered by the user. So if anybody knows how to make this difference, I would be happy for the moment.

But it still is strange that the BeforeDoubleClick event on the document gets lost...

Thanks and kind regards

Nora

• Edited by nora.sailer Monday, June 6, 2016 10:50 AM Example of ThisAddIn.cs added, for easier reproduction
    Monday, June 6, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Hi nora.sailer,

Thanks very much for your detail steps to help us reproduce this issue. I’m able to reproduce this issue now. Unfortunately, I did not see any workaround to overcome this. I will still keep troubleshooting this issue but it will take some time. 

Thanks for your understanding.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi David

Did you already find a workaround or even a solution?

If not: For the time being, I only need the doubleclick on ContentControls. That's why I first tried to react to the OnEnter event of the ContentControl. But this event is also triggered by CODE, and I only want to react to it when it is triggered by the USER. So if you or any other reader knows how to make this difference, I would be very glad to get an answer to that one.

Kind regards

Nora

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 5:42 PM
  • >>>Did you already find a workaround or even a solution?

You could modify your codes like below:
    {
        Application.DocumentBeforeClose += new ApplicationEvents4_DocumentBeforeCloseEventHandler(ThisAddIn_DocumentBeforeClose);
    }

{
        (Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Application.ActiveDocument)).BeforeDoubleClick += ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick;
    }

private void ThisAddIn_DocumentBeforeClose(Word.Document Doc, ref bool Cancel)
    {
        (Globals.Factory.GetVstoObject(Application.ActiveDocument)).BeforeDoubleClick -= ThisDocument_BeforeDoubleClick;
    }

{
    }

• Marked as answer by nora.sailer Friday, July 8, 2016 8:00 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 8:37 AM
  • Hey, this is great, thanks a lot!

Happy greetings

Nora

Friday, July 8, 2016 8:00 AM