Fab 40 Source location RRS feed

Answers

• Check out the answer to this question on that page "How do I customize these application templates and deploy them in more specific scenarios and organizations?"  You can use any of the tools mentioned in that Answer.

Regards,

prashant

P.S: Page URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb848092.aspx

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

The Fab 40 site templates are made up of 20 site templates (STP files) and 20 application templates (WSP files).  The STP files are basically the data for a snap shot of a site at a particular time.  The WSP files are something called Solution Deployment.  Solution deployment involves packaging files to deploy within SharePoint.  These can be features, site definitions or artefacts (they are deployed within the 12 hive).

The site template you want to modify is a WSP file.  WSP files are a zipped (packaged) collection of folders and files in a structure that SharePoint understands.  You should have a RoomEquipmentReservations.wsp on your server.  If you navigate to with windows explorer, rename the file to RoomEquipmentReservations.cab and open in winzip or windows explorer.  You will see the files that make up the Room Equipment Reservations site template.  You could modify these and repackage - this will involve create the solution package, see articles like http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163379.aspx.

If you just want to make basic changes then you might be best to create a site using the template and modify using a web browser, then under site settings click on save site as a template.  This will create a STP file, this can be deployed by uploading into the site template gallery.

Hope this helps

Dave

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:40 PM

All replies

• Check out the answer to this question on that page "How do I customize these application templates and deploy them in more specific scenarios and organizations?"  You can use any of the tools mentioned in that Answer.

Regards,

prashant

P.S: Page URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/bb848092.aspx

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Thanks for that.  However, what I was asking about is the source location.  Where is the source code for the utilities? 

I desire to continue to use visual studio.  Forgive me for not asking the question very well.

My humble thanks in advance,

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

The Fab 40 site templates are made up of 20 site templates (STP files) and 20 application templates (WSP files).  The STP files are basically the data for a snap shot of a site at a particular time.  The WSP files are something called Solution Deployment.  Solution deployment involves packaging files to deploy within SharePoint.  These can be features, site definitions or artefacts (they are deployed within the 12 hive).

The site template you want to modify is a WSP file.  WSP files are a zipped (packaged) collection of folders and files in a structure that SharePoint understands.  You should have a RoomEquipmentReservations.wsp on your server.  If you navigate to with windows explorer, rename the file to RoomEquipmentReservations.cab and open in winzip or windows explorer.  You will see the files that make up the Room Equipment Reservations site template.  You could modify these and repackage - this will involve create the solution package, see articles like http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163379.aspx.

If you just want to make basic changes then you might be best to create a site using the template and modify using a web browser, then under site settings click on save site as a template.  This will create a STP file, this can be deployed by uploading into the site template gallery.

Hope this helps

Dave

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:40 PM
  • YES!!  This is the kind of info I can use!  So now I see there are two dlls in there.  It may not be a perfect fit but at least I can move forward based on fact and not speculation.

Thank you,

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:15 PM