Bad Data in Fox Pro DBF file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

I've got an issue with a Fox Pro database file.  It is a file used by an accounting program that keeps track of the Year-To-Date Transaction records for the General Ledger.  The main issue is that it appears that somehow some (but not all) of the data in the file has been corrupted.  The first 1000 or so records in the file are fine, as are the last 1000 or so.  But the vast majority of records in the middle are junk.  When looking at the DBF file, these records appear as just bunch of pipe/wingdings like characters (and when you go to edit these records, when you first enter data, the field is blank).  I've never really encountered a problem like this before, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how this data can be repaired or recovered (if at all).  I've seen DBF repair utilities online, but quite a few of them are pretty expensive, and the free trials/demos leave a lot to be desired in terms of actually repairing your data (like tagging each record with DEMO, ugh).  If we have to use one of these, then so be it I guess, but I'd love it if there was a free solution to fix this issue.

Any info will be appreciated!  Thanks!

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:06 AM

Answers

• This happens when your data is not saved properly mostly because of power failure. The data never got saved on to the disk. This issue cannot be fixed even by the repair utilities. They can at best delete the junk records.
    • Marked as answer by Martin_Xie Monday, April 19, 2010 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:17 AM
  • walu: take copy of corrupted file open file without any of its indices (entry) If You Have old backup for file try to do it manualy to cut the corrupted part and isert from old backup that part between two same physical record numbers on one condition that revision of accounting must be held .Big installations take a backup copy every 24 hours and put it far away of about 50 kilometers apart.Backup is very important. Ther Is a backup team for doing this. I did this before and it was ok you can check from totals by periods.I have never answerd Question unless it happened with me Try This.
    azizsallam
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:33 AM

All replies

• This happens when your data is not saved properly mostly because of power failure. The data never got saved on to the disk. This issue cannot be fixed even by the repair utilities. They can at best delete the junk records.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:17 AM
  • walu: take copy of corrupted file open file without any of its indices (entry) If You Have old backup for file try to do it manualy to cut the corrupted part and isert from old backup that part between two same physical record numbers on one condition that revision of accounting must be held .Big installations take a backup copy every 24 hours and put it far away of about 50 kilometers apart.Backup is very important. Ther Is a backup team for doing this. I did this before and it was ok you can check from totals by periods.I have never answerd Question unless it happened with me Try This.
    azizsallam
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:33 AM
  • Alright, thanks for the info guys.  I'm doing this for another company (my company supports the accounting software package that they use).  They've got backups going back as far as two months ago, so hopefully, these backups will be okay.  We'll find out later today.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:02 PM