none
WPF Application with encryption of the App.Config connection string section RRS feed

• Question

• Hey!

I'm tasked with encryption our app.config connection string section.  Most of the way we operate is we store all the files in one area on a shared drive and THEN we copy it down to the necessary users computers. We need to make sure the connection string is encrypted the entire time, but also allow for the application to RUN!

What is the best way to do this? I've seen a few ways, but not a direct one, so I want to get how other folks encrypt their application configs. I know a lot of people use the machine key, but the application will not necessary run on the same computer!

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can see the following link,it's about Encrypting the app.config File for Windows Forms,and it works equally well in WPF Application.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/18209/Encrypting-the-app-config-File-for-Windows-Forms-A

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:19 AM
  • Thanks Alex.

I guess I was just hoping you could store the RSA key in one place and still have it work on multiple computers, but I do not think that is possible.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:39 PM