Lightswitch Silverlight Client crashing on Touch Windows 8 laptops RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a LS Silverlight Client application that runs perfectly on non touch tablets. As soon as we try and run it on a touch enabled OS / tablet device the application become unstable and crashes. The application can be an OOB application, or Browser based, a either crash.

We typically are able to login, navigate to a search screen, click on a row of returned data. We then view this page of data and then try to close it. Sometimes this works, other times it crashes either the SLLauncher or Browser hosting the application.

We know that a standard Silverlight Client works fine, we have an OOB Silverlight client running on a touch tablet without any errors. This seems to be an error specifically with LS using Silverlight, and then running it on a touch tablet.

I've tested this on 2 different MS Surface Pro devices, a Samsung 7 Series touch ultrabook, an eSlate Windows 7 Professional. One error message talked for Heap Memory Corruption, another of memory corruption. The LS application either crashes to a windows handler, or initially starts to ignore close requests of window tabs, then has the whirlpool timers start appearing, then finally dies.

My other tests on non touch screen devices NEVER crash. Any ideas? Is there any way to turn off the turn off the touch interface of a Surface to prove its the touch UI stack that is killing the LS application? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:51 PM

All replies

• What version of LightSwitch are you using and what version of Silverlight are you using?

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:09 PM
  • In terms of LS for this project it would be VS 2012 Update 3.

In terms of Windows 8 versions, standard/pro 8/8.1 upgrades. This also didn't work on Windows 7 Professional touch tablet.

Silverlight Clients, the latest, in both 32 bit and 64 bit, dependant upon the device. I hadn't realised that the SLLauncher even when running on a 64 processor uses a 32 bit version of Siliverlight, or that's what the Task Manager reports.

I flipped the application from OOB to Web, just killed the Browser host instead. It appears to be a Memory issue, or that's what the various stack dumps, when we can catch them appeared to report.

However the application has NOT crashed or died on any non touch enabled PC/laptop/server. This doesn't look like a Silverlight issue as we have OOB Silverlight clients that work without a problem, its only when the client has been built via LS.

I'm creating a basic sample to try and isolate what the construct/sequence is that kills it. It seems to be opening a detail screen following a search. We have been using LS extensively, integrated in our own Silverlight custom controls, and really like LS. This is the first time we had tried running an App on a touch screen device.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve

Steve

Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Can you check the event log on these machines and see if there are Windows Error Reporting entries?  If so, please send me the "Bucket IDs"

david (dot) kidder (at) Microsoft (dot) com

Saturday, October 26, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Hi Same problem here Would be nice to know why Regards Sven

Sven Elm

Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Hi Same problem here Would be nice to know why Regards Sven

Sven Elm

I have heard that tablet enabled computers conflict with SL

Sven Elm

Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Try this: http://www.silverlightcrash.com Sven

Sven Elm

Sunday, October 27, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Sven, did you try that?

Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Hi Nope. I will try it when I get my hands on of our samsung slates. Sven

Sven Elm

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Just wondering if you ever got this issue resolved. I'm about to develop a tablet application that I would love to use Lightswitch for.

Gerry Wagner

Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

First update to latest win 8.1.

Update To newest Silverlight runtime.

The last version contains a fix for this issue.

Regards

Sven

Sven Elm

Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Great, that makes my day. This will simplify development of a field app. We have a few LS apps and have been very pleased with how easy they are to develop and how powerful they are once you get to know how to do things in Lightswitch.

thanks

Gerry Wagner

Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:13 PM
  • Hi,  I have been having this issue from the start, and was greatly encouraged by the latest march posts, but to no avail. I upgraded to 8.1 and the latest Silverlight client.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:23 PM
  • Hi there,

We are running the same application on over 40 PCs. No problems on all but two of them.

You guessed it. These are touch screens. Both are fully up to date.

Help?

Thanks

Steve

Monday, June 16, 2014 10:00 AM
  • In my case (and hopefully yours) it turned out to be a combination of the touch screen, Cosmopolitan theme, and if the display heading of the screen tab > 30 characters. (See: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/777016/lightswitch-cosmopolitan-shell-crashes-while-lightswitch-standard-does-not )

I changed all areas where I set the DisplayName of the screen to truncate the title to 30 characters and I no longer had the problem.

Monday, June 16, 2014 1:16 PM
  • Thank you so much for this!

This bug has been driving me crazy. I've made extensive changes to the Cosmopolitan theme and thought it was some of my changes that was the cause of the crashes.

Monday, January 19, 2015 8:00 AM