Bcdedit cannot find bootloader store in dual boot system with winxp on separate hard drive

Question

• I have had to erase the hard drive on which I installed developer preview in order to get rid of hp printer drivers which will not otherwise uninstall.  When I reinstall developer preview, it leaves an entry in the bootloader selection page for the deleted system - my attempts to delete the entry for the uninstalled OS are met with "cannot find file" error from bcdedit.  I have read the help file on bcdedit, have followed the directions on the support for deleting a previously uninstalled OS, and still no joy. It's acting as if the bootloader store is either a hidden file or lurking somewhere to which I have no access.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hey Howardlwelch,

Try using msconfig to delete the entry from the boot menu. You can do this by: (Note: you'll need to be sure that the entry you delete is the non-working entry)

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type msconfig (If you are using a touchscreen: Slide your finger from the right edge of the screen to the center to open the Charms bar, select the Search charm, touch the Search text box, type msconfig)
    • Click msconfig
    • Click the Boot tab
    • Select the boot entry that you want to remove
    • Click Delete
    • Click OK

Hope that helps.

Steven
    • Marked as answer by howardlwelch Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:48 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hey Howardlwelch,

Try using msconfig to delete the entry from the boot menu. You can do this by: (Note: you'll need to be sure that the entry you delete is the non-working entry)

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type msconfig (If you are using a touchscreen: Slide your finger from the right edge of the screen to the center to open the Charms bar, select the Search charm, touch the Search text box, type msconfig)
    • Click msconfig
    • Click the Boot tab
    • Select the boot entry that you want to remove
    • Click Delete
    • Click OK

Hope that helps.

Steven
    • Marked as answer by howardlwelch Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:48 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Your suggestion did the trick - Thank you!

• Marked as answer by howardlwelch Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:45 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by howardlwelch Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:47 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:44 PM