none
lock only document style and table columns width RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 
    I have created a Word 2013 document with some tables and text fields.

This document is a model for invoices. 
    Instead of create a new file for every invoice my client want to use only the same document simply adding to it a new page.

What I would do is lock all page styles (font, color, column widths, etc), but leave the users free to modify texts, add rows to tables (if is possible only to one table) and finally do a "cut and paste" of the content in a new page and begin a new invoice.

Can I do this with Word?

Thank you in advance

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hi crc-error

<<Speaking as an web designer I want to create a css to apply to every page I create.
    The page structure and style will remain the same but, editors can change the texts.>>

Word does not support anything like this, really.

<<I want to disallow users to change font style and size or change the columns width inside tables.

User must be free to add or change texts, add new rows to tables select all, copy it and paste it in a new page.>>

I'm afraid Word wasn't designed to work this way.

It is possible to lock down the formatting allowed in the document using the tools in Developer/Restrict Editing (step 1 of the task pane). There's no way to lock the formatting of particular blocks of text short of using forms protection, but that would prevent the users from working in anything but form fields in a protected section.

The only way you can prevent changes to a table's structure is to use document protection, and that would preclude being able to add rows and might also prevent copying/pasting.

This means you'd have to add code + UI to allow users to perform most tasks. But as you've posted in a developer forum perhaps you were expecting this would be the case?

Document protection is also available in the same Restrict Editing task pane, Step 2. Only forms protection will prevent the user from changing formatting. Insert Content Controls (also in the Developer tab) where the user should be able to enter text.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:50 AM

All replies

• Do you want to lock specified content from word with code or without code?

I think it is impossible, Word only let users protect the whole document.

Have a look at :

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/protect-a-document-from-unauthorized-changes-HP001044674.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/allow-editing-in-a-protected-document-HP001044747.aspx

Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:45 AM
  • I don't know, I think it is the same..

I want to disallow users to change font style and size or change the columns width inside tables.

User must be free to add or change texts, add new rows to tables select all, copy it and paste it in a new page.

Speaking as an web designer I want to create a css to apply to every page I create.
    The page structure and style will remain the same but, editors can change the texts.

I'll check you links posted above

Thank you ;)

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Tables in Word are not the same as tables in Forms or web pages.
    • Edited by Andy_mic Friday, February 21, 2014 5:57 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 5:57 AM
  • Hi crc-error

<<Speaking as an web designer I want to create a css to apply to every page I create.
    The page structure and style will remain the same but, editors can change the texts.>>

Word does not support anything like this, really.

<<I want to disallow users to change font style and size or change the columns width inside tables.

User must be free to add or change texts, add new rows to tables select all, copy it and paste it in a new page.>>

I'm afraid Word wasn't designed to work this way.

It is possible to lock down the formatting allowed in the document using the tools in Developer/Restrict Editing (step 1 of the task pane). There's no way to lock the formatting of particular blocks of text short of using forms protection, but that would prevent the users from working in anything but form fields in a protected section.

The only way you can prevent changes to a table's structure is to use document protection, and that would preclude being able to add rows and might also prevent copying/pasting.

This means you'd have to add code + UI to allow users to perform most tasks. But as you've posted in a developer forum perhaps you were expecting this would be the case?

Document protection is also available in the same Restrict Editing task pane, Step 2. Only forms protection will prevent the user from changing formatting. Insert Content Controls (also in the Developer tab) where the user should be able to enter text.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:50 AM