Azure SQL Data Sync In production RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have some questions about Azure SQL Data Sync :

1. Can I use Azure SQL Data Sync in a production environment ? I've read that Azure SQL Data Sync is only a preview version and that's only for product feedback for future releases and should not be used in production environments. Is that true ?

2. How does it work ? Can I have as a source a physical server with a SQL Enterprise Edition and synchronize my data on Azure as a destination ?

Thank you for your answers.

S.

• Edited by Shaouks Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:01 PM

Answers

• >Can I use Azure SQL Data Sync in a production environment ?

You should not.  For some preview services it's worth the risk, but not this one.  It's been in preview too long, and I wouldn't use it in production.

>Can I have as a source a physical server with a SQL Enterprise Edition and synchronize my data on Azure as a destination ?

You can do this in a simple and supported manner using SQL Server Transactional Replication or SQL Server Snapshot Replication.

See Replication To SQL Database

David

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas

My Blog

• Marked as answer by Shaouks Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:25 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:20 PM
  • Hi Shaouks,

1. As Data Sync is in preview it is not recommended to use for production yet. That being said, we are in the process of improving Data Sync and bringing it to GA. This work should be done during 2017.

2. With Data Sync you will have 1 hub database with 1 or more member databases which are kept in Sync. The hub database needs to be an Azure database but bidirectional synchronization is supported.

Best,
    Josh

• Proposed as answer by JoshGnana Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:12 PM

All replies

• >Can I use Azure SQL Data Sync in a production environment ?

You should not.  For some preview services it's worth the risk, but not this one.  It's been in preview too long, and I wouldn't use it in production.

>Can I have as a source a physical server with a SQL Enterprise Edition and synchronize my data on Azure as a destination ?

You can do this in a simple and supported manner using SQL Server Transactional Replication or SQL Server Snapshot Replication.

See Replication To SQL Database

David

Microsoft Technology Center - Dallas

My Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:20 PM
  • Hi Shaouks,

1. As Data Sync is in preview it is not recommended to use for production yet. That being said, we are in the process of improving Data Sync and bringing it to GA. This work should be done during 2017.

2. With Data Sync you will have 1 hub database with 1 or more member databases which are kept in Sync. The hub database needs to be an Azure database but bidirectional synchronization is supported.

Best,
    Josh

• Proposed as answer by JoshGnana Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:12 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:26 AM
  • Any idea on when in 2017 Data Sync might go GA?
    Friday, March 31, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Hello,

Azure SQL Data Sync is no longer an Azure feature in preview. Azure SQL Data Sync has now reached general availability (GA) as shown on the following Microsoft Article.

Announcing the general availability of Azure SQL Data Sync

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:58 AM