Windows store device app for specialized device

Question

• Hi 

1. Is it possible not to place any kind of privilege on my specialized device, I would like to provide an api to allow any windows store application to use my device.

Friday, February 8, 2013 2:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• No one can help, i can't make my device falls under the open device access model?????
    Monday, February 11, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Hi Cicciolina,

It is not possible to create a public API for your custom device. Only your own Device App will be able to communicate with it.

--Rob

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:11 AM
  • Thanks Rob

If that is the case.... Why did Microsoft place such restriction on specialized device?  If I make a device, is very obvious that I want to provide a public API for third parties to use it.  I would like to take advantage of the windows store app looks and feels.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Hi Cicciolina,

Can you describe the workflow of your app in a little more detail? You could potentially expose your data via a share contract that would allow your app to proxy communication to the device in a similar fashion to how print currently works?

Thanks,
    Lewis

Windows/Windows Phone Device & integration consultant | Follow Me on Twitter: @LewisBenge Or check out my blog: http://www.lewisbenge.net

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:59 PM
  • Hi Lewis

Thanks for your time.

1. I guess the bottom line is, I have a device with a custom device driver and of course an interface to access the custom driver via device access api.  At the current state my app is working  fine.  I have granted my application access in the device metadata authoring wizard.  So how can I allow other applications to access my device since I don't know their package name up front.  

2. Is it possible for me follow the printer model or it is a microsoft internal only?

3. I will take a look the share contract.

Best Regards

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Your device driver is accessible from a Windows Device App only through the Specialized Devices model.

Best Wishes - Eric 

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:42 AM