Your Opinion of C++ Development w/ VS2012

General discussion

• I dived deep into WinRT C++ and I have some observations that I'm hoping other developers can corroborate or explain.

1) Compiler warnings in WinRT C++ are extremely cryptic and perhaps even useless compared to C#.

2) Intellisense for WinRT C++ is broken.  Or the platform developers could add more commenting to method signatures?  Run-time exploration of objects with the property inspector fail to return meaningful information or state for the majority of classes.

3) Compile times are significantly longer compared to C#/traditional .NET.

4) WinRT is a mix of new and legacy interfaces (COM for DirectX).

5) The COM design pattern, where everything inherits IUnknown, lends itself to obfuscated code.  

Is this how any of you feel?  How do other developers see the C++ side of the platform?  If you are a die-hard C++ developer, are none of these aspects to the platform an issue for you?  Thank you advance for your feedback.

Monday, January 28, 2013 5:46 AM

All replies

• Yes, but we can use C++ to do more things than C#

NEU_ShieldEdge

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Thanks Luke.  What are some examples of C++ as a differentiator?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:36 AM
  • 1. C++ warnings have always been cryptic and sometimes misleading - just comes with the language and territory. I wouldn't categorize them as useless, there just takes a bit more effort to drill down to the cause.

2. Get Visual Assist X from Whole Tomato Software. Your life will be changed :-)

3. Again comes with the territory. The language is a lot more complex and the compiler is tasked with creating the actual machine code for the targeted platform. .Net languages don't have this overhead.

4. True, but WinRT greatly simplifies the calling of DirectX.

5. True, but I find in general that WinRT hides a lot of that confusion.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:02 PM
  • I really appreciate your perspective.  Now that I think about, it I was never been a fan of GCC compiler errors either.  I grew accustomed to how good C# is at identifying the source of errors.  I watched the video for Visual Assist X and I agree that it's a step up from where VS is today with intellisense -- it's going to be a big help.  Thank you!

Your comments definitely give me perspective.  I hope someone from the VS team is out there and they can see how -- and I'll be bluntly honest -- how inferior the C++ tooling is compared to C#.  Maybe it comes with the territory.  I'm thinking that MS owns the entire tool chain here, including the compiler.  So if C++ is an increasingly important language for WinRT I hope we'll see more investments from Microsoft!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:37 PM