Managing Linux Desktops from Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to manage Linux Desktops and Workstations centrally (patches and system configuration). I found this article: docs.microsoft.com/de-de/mem/configmgr/core/clients/manage/manage-clients-for-linux-and-unix-servers and this advice: 

Starting in version 1902, Configuration Manager doesn't support Linux or UNIX clients.
    Consider Microsoft Azure Management for managing Linux servers. Azure solutions have extensive Linux support that in most cases exceed Configuration Manager functionality, including end-to-end patch management for Linux.

But unfortunately, I'm not able to find an Azure service called Microsoft Azure Management.

Can anyone point out Azure Services which provide SCCM-like funktions?

BR

Bjoern

Monday, April 27, 2020 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Bjoern,

Greetings!

You can use the Update Management solution in Azure Automation to manage operating system updates for your Windows and Linux machines in Azure, in on-premises environments, and in other cloud environments. You can quickly assess the status of available updates on all agent machines and manage the process of installing required updates for servers.

Reference link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-update-management

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. Feel free to reach out to us if you've any further questions in this matter.

Monday, April 27, 2020 9:30 AM
  • Hey Sadiqh,

thanks for your quick reply. Can I use this solution as well to enforce certain configuration settings or is it limited to patches? Is desired state configuration able to do so?

Best regards

Bjoern

EDIT: And sorry if it was not clear: We're not talking abut VMs in Azure but about regular hardware.
    • Edited by BjoernSk Monday, April 27, 2020 1:33 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2020 11:29 AM
  • Update management is mainly to manage operating system updates for your Windows and Linux machines in Azure, in on-premises environments, and in other cloud environments.

In order to enforce configuration settings, you can advantage of the State Configuration in Azure Automation to configure the virtual machines to a desired state.

For more information about State Configuration, kindly refer this document.

Monday, April 27, 2020 1:40 PM
  • @Bjoern, Just checking in to see if the above answer helped answer your question. Let me know if there are still any additional issues we can help with. 
    Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:39 AM
  • Hey all,

thanks for your reply. So if I judge correctly, none of the mentioned products can solve my problem. Since desired state configuration is only available for Azure VMs and update management is "only" for patch management.

What I am looking for is a solution to enforce certain system configuration settings and centralized patch management for Linux desktops (Notebooks and Workstations on premises). We do this with SCCM / GPOs for our Windows workplaces and what I found so far is something like Ansible / Puppet / Chef.

If there is a comprehensive solution from Microsoft / Azure cloud, I would be happy to evaluate. :)

BR

Bjoern

• Edited by BjoernSk Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:04 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:03 AM
  • I am bit confused on your comment. Desired state configuration is available for not only Azure VM's ,its also available for on premise machines with Linux OS.

And here are the list of supported Linux Distributions.

Hope this helps!!

Monday, May 11, 2020 3:55 AM
  • Hello Swathi,

sorry but what causes confusion for me is the very first line on the site you've linked to (see below). So if you can point out a documentation, how I can apply DSC on on-prem server, I would highly appreciate it.

BR

Bjoern

DSCForLinux Extension

Allow the owner of the Azure Virtual Machines to configure the VM using Desired State Configuration (DSC) for Linux.

Latest version is 2.70

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:16 AM
  • Here is the documentation link for enabling state configuration for linux. Kindly check and revert if you have further questions.
    Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:05 PM