File Size changed in Windows 10 vs. Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

installing from the Store an app developed for Windows 8.1, into a computer running Windows 10, I realized that the wav files of the app have different "file size on disk" for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (actually the value in Windows 10 is smaller).

Since I'm checking in my app the file sizes, this has as consequence that my app fails in Windows 10!

The file size is retrieved similar to your uint64 RandomAccessReader::GetFileSize() function of your XAudio 2 sample "XAudio2 audio file playback sample".

Why this happens?

Any clue on why the file size are different in Windows 8.1 vs 10, and what is their relationship?

How to predict the Windows 10 file size given the Windows 8 file size?

Thanks!

• Edited by pf16mirage Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:22 PM

Answers

• In my view, this should be to decrease the package size, have you checked if this audio file has been broken? If not, you don't need to concern about this change

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by pf16mirage Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have noticed that Windows 10 compresses my app's asset files, when a user installs it on his computer.

How to prevent Windows 10 from compressing my app's asset files?

thanks

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:28 AM
  • In my view, this should be to decrease the package size, have you checked if this audio file has been broken? If not, you don't need to concern about this change

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by pf16mirage Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:59 AM
  • Thanks. It seems the audio file is ok, however I want to have the option not to allow Windows 10 doing that in my asset files. Thanks
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:02 AM
  • When you create appx package, it is basically a zip with different extension. So all your files assets maintains the same quality.

In fact, you can change the extension to .zip file and unzip it. In that folder you will get .appx file, change its extension to .zip and unzip and you will see all your files intact in same quality

http://www.dotnetspeaks.com

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:10 AM