Visual Studio 2010 Load Test - Socket Exception when IP Switching enabled RRS feed

• Question

• When I have IP Switching enabled on the load test I'm executing as well as the test agents, I'm getting a socket exception.

I have no network mix specified, and I'm running a load test containing coded web tests.

The error i'm seeing says:

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond after a period of time..."

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

Yes I saw that blog post and enabled logging. Once i did that, I didn't see any mention of binding the IP address to the NIC. So this makes me believe that since the NIC has a static IP, I need a secondary NIC (or dynamically assigned IP to NIC#1).

thanks,

Roland

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:26 PM

All replies

• Hi mawaru,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

How many v-users did you set in your load test? If you use just one v-user, does it have this issue? Please make sure that your Agent is in “Ready” statues.

If possible, I suggest you refer this pdf file here in Page 77, it shared us the detailed message about how to use the IP Switching in load test.

“A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond after a period of time..."

It means that it couldn’t connect to server with the IP switch, so I doubt that it will be related to the server, you would check whether your IP switching works correctly like this document.

Reference:

Socket exception load test with agents

Issue while triggering the load test from VS2010

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:11 AM
  • Hi Jack,

My load test starts at 5 users and has a max of 30. I haven't tried one user yet.

I have already seen those posts that you mentioned but i haven't tried turning on IIS logging. I also have the Perf Guide you provided a link for as well.

One thing I noticed was that the agents have static IPs assigned. I'm assuming this is probably my problem. Given that I have a static IP assigned, VS can't assign the IPs...  

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Roland

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Hi Roland,

Could you check this blog about “Troubleshooting the VSTS Load Testing IP Switching Feature”? Hope it could help.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Yes I saw that blog post and enabled logging. Once i did that, I didn't see any mention of binding the IP address to the NIC. So this makes me believe that since the NIC has a static IP, I need a secondary NIC (or dynamically assigned IP to NIC#1).

thanks,

Roland

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:26 PM