Reverting updates done to database MS SqlServer RRS feed

• Question

• User1521971904 posted

Hi Friends,

One of my friend did updates to database by directly running the update query to the web hosting server database and due to his misfortune he did mistake by executing wrong query ie not providing proper conditions in the where clause which bought database to an inconsistent state. I want to know that is there any method by which we can revert those changes. 

Hope anyone can help.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:54 AM

Answers

• User-1793347006 posted

If you are backing upp the database and transaction logs you can do a point-in-time restore to the time just before he made the change. Otherwise revert to the latest full backup.

There are also some tools (I think) which can back single transactions found in the transaction logs. One such is "lumigent log explorer", but it requires that your database is in full recovery mode, otherwise the transaction log will be truncated and finished transactions removed.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:27 AM

All replies

• User-1793347006 posted

If you are backing upp the database and transaction logs you can do a point-in-time restore to the time just before he made the change. Otherwise revert to the latest full backup.

There are also some tools (I think) which can back single transactions found in the transaction logs. One such is "lumigent log explorer", but it requires that your database is in full recovery mode, otherwise the transaction log will be truncated and finished transactions removed.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:27 AM
  • User1521971904 posted

Thanks my friend for the reply...

We dont have any back of anything. Updates has been made directly to the server database by mistake.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:41 AM