none
[MS-TDS] 2.2.6.4 LOGIN7 - fDumpLoad Flag Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Could someone help clarify how TDS's Login7's fDumpLoad's flag should affect behavior on the server-side?

TDS describes this flag as follows (see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd304019.aspx): 

fDumpLoad: Set is dump/load or BCP capabilities are needed by the client.
    0 = DUMPLOAD_ON 
    1 = DUMPLOAD_OFF

I could imagine that this means that if the flag is set to:

• DUMPLOAD_OFF (1), the server should return an error or terminate the connection if a bulk load message (BulkLoadBCP or BulkLoadUTWT) is received from the client.
    • DUMPLOAD_ON (0), the server should accept and process all valid bulk load messages it receives. Setting this flag to this state indicates that the server should be prepared to accept bulk load messages; however, it does not obligate the client to send bulk load messages.

Is this a correct understanding? If so, when the flag is set to DUMPLOAD_OFF and a bulk load message is sent to the server, is the correct behavior to terminate the connection or return an error?

Thank you,
    Ben

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Ben, my research shows that there is no requirement that indicates database server MUST terminate the connection upon receiving a bulk copy request when DUMPLOAD_OFF is set. However our data access providers generate error such as the following under these conditions. If you have further questions, would you be able to contact me by emailing dochelp at microsoft dot com ?

HY000:1:0:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Connection is not enabled for BCP

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Ben:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft. We have received the questions and someone will be in contact from the Windows Open Specifications support team to assist further.

Thanks

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, May 1, 2017 11:45 PM
  • Hello Ben,  I will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:09 PM
  • Hello Ben, my research shows that there is no requirement that indicates database server MUST terminate the connection upon receiving a bulk copy request when DUMPLOAD_OFF is set. However our data access providers generate error such as the following under these conditions. If you have further questions, would you be able to contact me by emailing dochelp at microsoft dot com ?

HY000:1:0:[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Connection is not enabled for BCP

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Hi Sreekanth,

Thank you for researching this. Your answer is helpful! I appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,
    Ben

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:20 PM