Bandwidth charge for uploading/downloading a blob from an Azure VM? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Azure VM.  If this VM uploads or downloads an Azure blob (using a command-line), is there a charge for bandwidth?  The storage account/container is in the same region.

• I know I'm charge for the VM compute and for the blob storage.
    • And if I ever download that blob to, say, my desktop at home there would be a charge as outbound bandwidth.

But from the VM to blob storage - any charge?

Friday, February 28, 2014 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my experience, data from the VM to Blob storage could not be charged for bandwidth in the same region.

All inbound data sent to Windows Azure is free. Outbound data is charged based on the total amount of data moving out of the Windows Azure datacenters via the Internet in a given billing cycle. Data transfers between Windows Azure services located within the same datacenter are not subject to any charge. The first 5 GB of outbound data transfers per billing month are also free. You could refer to VM price page (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/?scenario=virtual-machines ) to get more billing message of bandwidth.

And you could contact azure billing support to get more details about how to charge bandwidth.

Regards,

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 28, 2014 5:54 AM