none
Can we open a webpage inside outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to open a webpage inside outlook on click of a button in outlook addin. Can we do that? If yes, How?

I am using currently Outlook 2013.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Regards,

Ajit

Sunday, May 3, 2015 6:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Ajit,

It is not clear where you are going to open a web page. Is it an external web browser? An Outlook form region?

There are three main ways to get the job done:

1. Open a web page in an external web browser:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("http://www.webpage.com");

2. Use the WebBrowser control in Outlook forms. See Creating Outlook Form Regions for more information.

3. Set the home page for the folder, see the WebViewURL property of the Folder class which is a string indicating the URL of the Web page that is assigned to a folder.

Sub SetupFolderHomePage() 
     Dim nsp As Outlook.NameSpace 
     Dim mpfInbox As Outlook.Folder 
     Dim mpfNew As Outlook.Folder 
     Set nsp = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI") 
     Set mpfInbox = nsp.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox) 
     Set mpfNew = mpfInbox.Folders.Add("MyFolderHomePage") 
     mpfNew.WebViewURL = "http://www.microsoft.com" 
     mpfNew.WebViewOn = True  
    End Sub

Microsoft Outlook uses the rendering engine of the version Windows Internet Explorer installed on the client computer to display the web page. If Internet Explorer is not installed on the client computer, Outlook will not display the web page.

Also, setting the WebViewOn property to True before setting the WebViewURL property will not display the home page specified in theWebViewURL property.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 8:29 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the reply :) 

I want to open the webpage in area where the emails are viewed not in external browser.

Thanks,

Ajit

Sunday, May 3, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Are you talking about the inspector or explorer windows?

If the Reading Pane is meant the Outlook extensibility model doesn't provide anything for that. But you can use Windows API functions for subclassing Outlook windows. See Adjacent Windows In Outlook for more information. Also you may find Advanced Outlook view and form regions helpful.

In case of inspector windows see Creating Outlook Form Regions .

Sunday, May 3, 2015 8:14 PM
  • I want to display the webpage in inspector. Basically, i have an outlook addin in which i have a button. On click of this button i want a particular webpage to be opened in inspector.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 8:50 PM
  • Have you tried to use Outlook form regions?
    Monday, May 4, 2015 2:37 AM
  • Yes, I have tried and it's working fine. I just want to have the same functionality from the button in ribbon. Any suggestions?

Monday, May 4, 2015 6:58 PM
  • You can access an instance of the form region at runtime using the following code:

WindowFormRegionCollection formRegions = 
            Globals.FormRegions[Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveInspector()];
    formRegions.FormRegion1.webBrowserControl.Navigate("about.me/eugene.astafiev");

See Accessing a Form Region at Run Time for more information.

Monday, May 4, 2015 8:30 PM