weird spanish chacters on web sites. RRS feed

• Question

• User1269502655 posted

I have one web page that has some spanish contents , in design view it shows fine , but when I view it in browser, it shows gibberish character, for instance: i have following character in desing view

Unión

and it gets dispalyed Unión  in browser

please tell me , what am I doing wrong, or is there any reference I am missing.

thank you

maxmax

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:53 PM

Answers

• User-225949985 posted

That's because your browser isn't identifying correctly the special non-english characters. You see, browsers were initially made for the English language. To avoid that, you should always use encoded HTML characters in your page instead of the plain non english characters. Those characters are standard, so you shouldn't have any issues with any browser.

So, for instance, in your HTML instead of putting á, you should put á. Something like:

Juan, dónde estás? (Juan, dónde estás?)

Here's a list of all enconded HTML characters:

http://www.thesauruslex.com/typo/eng/enghtml.htm

You'll only need encoded characters for non english symbols.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:10 PM

All replies

• User1843221445 posted

which browser you are using ? kindly attach the HTML rendered by the browser (view source of the page) 

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:04 PM
  • User-225949985 posted

That's because your browser isn't identifying correctly the special non-english characters. You see, browsers were initially made for the English language. To avoid that, you should always use encoded HTML characters in your page instead of the plain non english characters. Those characters are standard, so you shouldn't have any issues with any browser.

So, for instance, in your HTML instead of putting á, you should put á. Something like:

Juan, dónde estás? (Juan, dónde estás?)

Here's a list of all enconded HTML characters:

http://www.thesauruslex.com/typo/eng/enghtml.htm

You'll only need encoded characters for non english symbols.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 3:10 PM
  • User1269502655 posted

thank u, your answer really helped me

maxmax

Monday, January 3, 2011 2:37 PM