none
Error while upgrading service pack 2 to service pack 3 Exchange Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When i try to upgrade exchange 2010 service pack 2 to service pack 3, while upgrading hub transport role there is a error pop up that " a failure occurred while trying to update metabase properties.

The system cannot find the path specified. "

this is the error please can anyone help me to fix my issue.

Regards.

Ashane.

Ashane Deshapriya ( MCP )

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:53 PM

Answers

• Did you check this? This is similar to your case I guess
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/7b363004-dbed-43da-878c-6d3ac021df0f/upgrade-to-exchange-2010-sp3-failed-at-hub-transport?forum=exchange2010

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:14 PM
  • Thank you MAS,

Finally i fixed my issue. I did following things on my exchange server. Actually my issue had in PowerShell-Proxy Virtual Directory. In C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Client Access\PowerShell-Proxy Wasn't found in this location. In this case i copied the PowerShell-Proxy VirtDir file from my testing server and paste it in to the location. after that i re added the PowerShell-Proxy app path in iis. after that my service pack 3 was successfully updated without any errors. I think now i can migrate the Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013. If anyone have idea about what i do, tell me is that wrong or correct. Also i need to know, is that PowerShell-Proxy VirtDir file is common for all exchange servers or its changing?

Thanks everyone who supported me.

Regards,

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:02 PM
  • First of all thanks for sharing your experience/info.
    As you already planned to migrate to Exchange2013 no need to worry about Powershell Vdirectories. 

I suggest you go through this for your upgrade. 
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2013/Checklist?state=2419-W-AgAEAAAAQAAAAAEAAQAAAAA~

I suggest you start a new thread so you will more suggestions/guidance on how to upgrade from other experts

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies

• Can you check the Exchange Installation log for more clues?

Probably something is wrong win your Exchange LDAP Directories, cause the error is reporting "a failure occurred while trying to update metabase properties.The system cannot find the path specified. "

David Paris Vicente

Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:56 PM
  • i checked the log file it says virtual directory issue. i think my virtual directory cannot been find. when i type Get-PowershellVirtualDirectory it shows my exchange server and a yellow color message shows that "Powershell proxy wasn't found" i don't know what i have to do.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Can you insert here the issue with the virtual Directories and the log?

So we can help you analyze it.

David Paris Vicente

Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Did you check this? This is similar to your case I guess
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/7b363004-dbed-43da-878c-6d3ac021df0f/upgrade-to-exchange-2010-sp3-failed-at-hub-transport?forum=exchange2010

Thanks, MAS

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:14 PM
  • Thank you MAS.

I will Check and let you know.

Regards,

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:15 PM
  • Thank you MAS,

Finally i fixed my issue. I did following things on my exchange server. Actually my issue had in PowerShell-Proxy Virtual Directory. In C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Client Access\PowerShell-Proxy Wasn't found in this location. In this case i copied the PowerShell-Proxy VirtDir file from my testing server and paste it in to the location. after that i re added the PowerShell-Proxy app path in iis. after that my service pack 3 was successfully updated without any errors. I think now i can migrate the Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013. If anyone have idea about what i do, tell me is that wrong or correct. Also i need to know, is that PowerShell-Proxy VirtDir file is common for all exchange servers or its changing?

Thanks everyone who supported me.

Regards,

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:02 PM
  • First of all thanks for sharing your experience/info.
    As you already planned to migrate to Exchange2013 no need to worry about Powershell Vdirectories. 

I suggest you go through this for your upgrade. 
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2013/Checklist?state=2419-W-AgAEAAAAQAAAAAEAAQAAAAA~

I suggest you start a new thread so you will more suggestions/guidance on how to upgrade from other experts

Thanks, MAS

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:15 PM