Azure Virtual Machine Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I am planning to take a backup of Virtual machine, which got maximum number of disks attached with maximum size. When i try to backup that particular server it keep on failing while it transfers the data to Vault.

I would like to know

• Whether it will take backup of only System drive or all other drives?
    • After first time backup is fully completed, it is going to take Only Deltas backup or each time it will be full backup.
    • Backup time depends on the size of the data or depends on the disk as well? Because i created a VM with 1 TB data drive with no data in it, it took more than 5 hours to complete it..

Please clarify all the above questions.

Thanks in Advance..

Friday, April 3, 2015 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Sreedar,

The Azure VM backup capability is for all the disks of the VM. Given that this is a disk-based backup, it is not aware of any drives/volumes that you create inside the VM. All of the data inside the VM gets backed up. Caveat:  OS + data disks, but not the temporary disk associated with the Azure VM.

The first time, the backup is a full backup. Remaining backups are incremental.

Regards,

Aashish

Monday, April 6, 2015 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Sreedhar,

Thanks for posting here!

You might want to check this link: Azure Backup Frequently Asked Questions

For other details see this link: Azure Backup Overview

Hope this answers your questions!

Regards,

Sadiqh

Friday, April 3, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Hi Sreedar,

The Azure VM backup capability is for all the disks of the VM. Given that this is a disk-based backup, it is not aware of any drives/volumes that you create inside the VM. All of the data inside the VM gets backed up. Caveat:  OS + data disks, but not the temporary disk associated with the Azure VM.

The first time, the backup is a full backup. Remaining backups are incremental.

Regards,

Aashish

Monday, April 6, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Thanks Aashish for your replies.

I have a Azure Virtual Machine data drive with Striped Volume and if i run the backup it is failing every time. I tried with different subscriptions as well, but results are same. 

How can i resolve this issue. Please guide me..

Sreedar

Sreedar

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:59 PM