Navigation in Metro apps using HTML5

Question

• Is it possible to add an IFRAME to a Metro app (HTML5\JavaScript) HTML that points to a Metro DLL (HTML5\JavaScript)?
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Could you expand on what you are asking?  You can definitely have HTML resources inside of your application and use those to render HTML if that is what you are asking.
    Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I am thinking of the following use-case: default.html in Exe 'coreapp.exe' containing IFRAME pointing to 'test.html' residing in 'test.dll'. Basically the IFRAME 'src' has to be a protocol that allows loading of HTML from metro DLLs. I have seen references to 'ms-resource' protocol but am not sure how generic it is.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I guess I am having trouble understanding why you would want to do that.  Your Metro style app has to contain all of the resources it uses so you could not point to some arbitrary executable or dll.  You cannot load resources from system components either since it is sandboxed.  You can source resources that are contained in your application just fine, so why would you do this?  Can you expand on your thinking?

Are talking more about application resources like this sample:  Application resources and localization sample http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Application-resources-and-cd0c6eaa

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:06 PM
  • A use-case would be to install the bare minimum pieces for all users and install certain components for users who have paid for the extra bit. By allowing IFRAMEs to point to other metro DLLs I am not forced onto installing all features for all subscribers. I'd install the bare minimum for everyone and incrementally install other DLLs based on the subscription level. Then in code I'll either hide the IFRAME or point it to the DLL containing extra features.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:34 PM
  • There are actually a set of APIs available for you to trigger based on level of purchases (e.g., trial mode, or purchasing individual features).

They were covered in my talk around enabling trial and in app offers in Metro style apps: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/APP-123T

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:55 AM