A suggestion...a way to actually exit the different apps besides task manager

General discussion

• All the apps you open run in the background when you use them, and it uses a lot of memory as well as causing the music to play non stop forcing me to either turn off my speakers or use task manager to shut them down. I suggest a dedicated exit button to actually close them.
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 6:41 AM

All replies

• I think the idea in Windows8 is that the OS will close your apps when it thinks the memory could be better used elsewhere.

Having music in the background is a good thing (iTunes, internet radio etc) but not so good if the music is from a game. One of the preview games does this (the surf one I think) but I'd say this is a bug in that app.

Microsoft have promised a blog on the subject to explain "why we might not need an app close button" but what they don't realise is that we 'the users' may want to close an app for reasons other than 'freeing memory', my own example would be that I'd want to close the facebook and twitter apps at the end of lunch, closing those apps signifies the transition from 'play' to 'work' and in work mode I don't want them to re-appear when task switching my open 'work' apps.

I'm sure other people can find many other reasons why a [close] button IS REQUIRED.

Acer W500 tablet Ageing HP laptop Too much apple stuff
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:31 AM