none
Outlook Add-in issue, can not get resources of room type, and EWS latency RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

We are using/developing an outlook Add-in which enables user to retrieve appointment's details (compose mode) using OfficeJS. The OfficeJS lib allows the add-in to get to, cc, subject etc... except rooms information. Thus, the problem is:

• It is impossible to retrieve room/location information out of the officeJS, because it's a resource of type Room 

To workaround that, the add-in must send multiple requests to exchange server, ask for the appointment details and extract the information out. Then it come the 2nd issue:

• We must save the appointment first (have a known Uid).
    • Wait for it to be sync (random time span), the latency sometimes reaches 30 seconds
    • And multiple requests must be sent to the exchange server until new information is available (since it might take more than 20 secs until any information is there).

Anyone has any idea how to overcome this? There is already an UserVoice post to ask Microsoft to fix this, but they haven't responded for soooooo long.

https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-feature-requests-and-feedback/suggestions/13316001-add-office-javascript-api-support-for-resources-of

Any help appreciated, thanks!

@Microsoft: anyone there who can help us?

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:50 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your post.

I am afraid your workaround is the only option to retrieve room information under Outlook Add-in.

As your link indicate, Office Developer Team will post back once there any update. I would suggest you use this workaround before this issue fixed by MS.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:46 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Thanks for your reply.

As the matter of fact, we must use this workaround up till now, and sadly it has been a long time without any proper reaction from the MS team.

Now that our environments is expanding, number of users has increased massively, the problem is getting more obvious. As issue 2 indicates, our server and 365 are bombarded with rooms requests unnecessarily.

Is there anyway we can pump up this inquiry to be done faster, it's 2nd on the uservoice list for so long now?

Thanks

I hope some of the OfficeJS team come by this thread and response to our request :(

Thursday, April 6, 2017 8:14 AM
  • >>Is there anyway we can pump up this inquiry to be done faster, it's 2nd on the uservoice list for so long now?

If this is urgent, I would suggest you contact the Microsoft professional support to create an incident which will be charged, I suggest you try below steps.

1. Open https://support.microsoft.com/en-my
    2. Get More support->Developers
    3. Developers->Visual Studio, Microsoft imagine, BizSpark and WebsiteSpark->Microsoft Technical Support
    4. Select Office->Outlook 2016
    5. Select the third option I use it for my business or company->Next
    6. Create an incident->Programming and Extensibility(Add-IN)->Apps for Outlook
    7. Start request

Hope it will help.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Thank you for your suggestion. We have gone through what you suggested, purchased an incident package.

Unfortunately, it's out of those levels of support. They didn't have the technical ability to solve that :(. And the Microsoft Agent suggested it to contact a local partner in the Netherlands. And that didn't help either. That was pretty useless, because local partners have very little to do with Microsoft Dev. :(

What should we do now?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Friday, April 14, 2017 9:08 AM
  • What room information do you want? For Office JS api, I am afraid there is no way to contact OfficeDev team.

>> Wait for it to be sync (random time span), the latency sometimes reaches 30 seconds

How did you send requests to exchange server? Did you use makeEwsRequestAsync or you send SOAP request directly by Exchange API? What do you mean it will wait for 30 sec to be sync? Do you mean saved appointment would not be retrieved in Exchange until 30 sec?  Which information needs 20 secs to come?

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Room isn't available at all, I just need the room name and room email address, to know there is a room (or more added to the appointment by user in Outlook). OfficeJs enables user to get to, cc, subject, etc... not the email address that is a resource type of room which is very strange. Mind that the 'location' doesn't suffice when such room is added.

>> How did you send requests to exchange server? 

Let's say there are 3 components:

- 1.OUTLOOK (add-in)

- 2.the WebApp/HOST of the Addin

- 3.Exchange Server/365.

In order to get room information. I have to save the appointment first (officeJs let you do that), send an Async call to 2 (with authentication token, and appointment UID retrieved from officeJS), then from 2. send a EWS request to 3 (using auth & uid).

When officeJs saves the appointment, it doesn't save right away to 3. (Exchange Server), sometimes it takes 5 sec, sometimes 30s until it's available.

The SAME apply for room (resource type of room), when user enter a room in Outlook and click check in the add-in,  we have to do the same thing and before the room becomes available in 3., it takes about from 10s to 20s

Those are expensive 2 rounds calls and obviously can be avoided easily if officeJs can just give us the Rooms info.

Thanks,

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:43 AM
  • As you know, Subject, cc etc are located in current email item. But, room is located in Exchange Server. There is no directly way to communicate between your Office AddIn and Exchange. In my option, if MS provide this API, it may also try the same way as yours.

Except room name and room email address, do you need room available time? If not, I would suggest you save the current room name and room email address in your web application for a temple workaround.

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 9:15 AM