Windows App Certification Kit Listing Issues

Question

• Hello all, I've been working on WinRT apps for a few months now and recently have updated to the RTM Windows 8 Professional and VS 2012.

Now that we are near ready to deploy our first Windows 8 app, I find that I have issues with the "Windows App Certification Kit" where it is listing some random apps that may have had projects for at one time but no longer do, and some other random ambiguous apps listings similar to "App.ac123793.1238.1230213.23123".

Unfortunately there is no file path hint or anything given so I really have no idea where those are or even how to get rid of them.  They don't show up on my Windows 8 start page either.

Are there any utilities that can help clean up old stuff listed in that dialog?  The system must be retaining refs to these old apps somewhere and I don't want that info hanging around either.

Oddly enough, our own app that we want to run the certification checks on is NOT listed in the dialog even though it's got a start page tile.

Please help!

actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, WinRT, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:56 PM

Answers

• Run thru these steps to remove the apps missing an install path. For the app you are wanting to test, uninstall it from the Start screen and once you have your app list cleaned up, redeploy it for cert testing.

1) Open a powershell window

2) Do a “Get-AppxPackage > out.txt”

3) Open out.txt and look at InstallLocation field of all the apps installed.

4) For the apps whose InstallLocation is blank, do a “Remove-AppxPackage 'listed packagefullname' ”

Let me know if you still have any problems.

David Lamb

Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:28 AM