none
Report Builder 3.0 RDL Trying to create Drill Through(s) 3 deep from report A to Report B and then From report B to Report C RRS feed

• Question

• Report Builder 3.0 RDL Trying to create Drill Through(s) 3 deep from report A to Report B and then From report B to Report C.  I can execute A and drill through to B but then I want to drill through to C and it does not work.  However if I execute B direct and then drill though to C it works fine.  Is this an error or am I missing something or is this a microsoft design.

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 15, 2011 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi HillRom,

From your description, I tried to reproduce this issue on my local machine. Here are my steps:
    1. Deploy three reports to my Report Server.(Report A, Report B, Report C)
    2. In Report Builder 3.0, open "Report A", and then add a textbox to the report and type in “Go to Report B”. After that, I add a “Go to report” action on the textbox so that drill through to "Report B".
    3. In Report B, I add a textbox and type in “Go to Report C”, and then add a “Go to report” action on the textbox drill through to "Report C".

When I preview “Report A” on Report Manager, I can click “Go to Report B” and then drill through to “Report B”, and then click “Go to Report C” drill through to “Report C”.

Personally, you can try to redesign the drill through feature based on your environment. If possible, please share your steps to design the drill through feature. Then, I will try to reproduce this scenario on my machine and assist you to solve this issue.

For more information about Add a drill through action on a report, please refer to:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159847(v=sql.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Bin Long

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

have you mention the Report B url in the Report A for redirection. Also check that you have to add the parameters if any required. 

Dont forget to mark it as Answered if found useful

Thanks, Pranil Yambal | MCTS | Pranil.Yambal@hotmail.com

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:08 PM
  • I did check the Parameters and they are correct. 

I have report A and i set up a drill through to report B and it works fine.  Then in Report B I set up a drill through to Report C and it works fine.

So if I execute Report A I can drill through to Report B but It will NOT allow me to Drill through from report B to Report C,  However if I Execute Report B first meaning NOT drill through from Report A and then I drill through from Report B to Report C it works fine. 

So my question to you is there someting special I have to do to allow multi level drill throughs or is this possible witn RDL reports?

Thanks again

Friday, July 15, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Its possible in rdl reports. Can you tell me what error message you get while trying to go from report B to C.

Thanks, Pranil Yambal | MCTS | Pranil.Yambal@hotmail.com
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:59 AM
  • There is no service error...maybe in a log file but I would not know where to look.  More specific, when I go from Report A to B and then form B to C the column I place the drill through on does not get the little hand to indicate a drill through and hense does not work when I try to drill through....However if I launch Report B direct and then place my cursor over the column I set the drill through in then the little hand comes up and I can drill through as I would expect.

Thanks Again for you assistance. 

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi HillRom,

From your description, I tried to reproduce this issue on my local machine. Here are my steps:
    1. Deploy three reports to my Report Server.(Report A, Report B, Report C)
    2. In Report Builder 3.0, open "Report A", and then add a textbox to the report and type in “Go to Report B”. After that, I add a “Go to report” action on the textbox so that drill through to "Report B".
    3. In Report B, I add a textbox and type in “Go to Report C”, and then add a “Go to report” action on the textbox drill through to "Report C".

When I preview “Report A” on Report Manager, I can click “Go to Report B” and then drill through to “Report B”, and then click “Go to Report C” drill through to “Report C”.

Personally, you can try to redesign the drill through feature based on your environment. If possible, please share your steps to design the drill through feature. Then, I will try to reproduce this scenario on my machine and assist you to solve this issue.

For more information about Add a drill through action on a report, please refer to:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159847(v=sql.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Bin Long

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:45 AM