none
outlook Addin disables at startup and when i change the name it works fine RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2017

.Net 4.0

WinForms outlook add in project  vsto.

while debugging it works fine. After a couple of times the add in remains always disabled whatever I do. (restart VS, restart outlook, restart computer). When I change the application name then it works fine. Again then after a couple of debugs happens the same and the solution is only to change the name of the assembly to a new different name.

I go to registry and delete every entry or value with that name but the problem remains.

How can I resolve this?

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi iglezos,

Many reasons for causing Outlook plug-ins to be disabled. Such as some updates or Third party software. Could you please provide some detail informations or error logs for us? Or if possible, Can you test it use another PC to diagnosis the problem? 

Also, please see the following link for Troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures

Troubleshoot Outlook add-in activation

Hopefully it helps you.

Regards,

Simon

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 2:55 PM
  • I tried the links you proposed with out any success

the strange thing is that the

- addin is not working.

- I go to Visual studio properties and I change the name of the addin to another name.

- after that the addin works fine for some time.

- after a number of tries the problem happens again and is solved if I again change the name of the addin

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 5:52 PM
  • Look in the Application Event Log.  When the Outlook client disables an add-in it writes an entry to the log that includes the reason why the add-in was disabled.

As you have seen, changing the name of the add-in is not a solution or a workaround.  You need to determine the reason why Outlook disables the add-in and resolve the issue.
    • Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Change of the name was a test to see if the source code of the addin had a problem.

I looked to the application event log and there is no entry for my addin.

All other outlook addins are show there but nothing for my addin.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Did you search for the correct name(s) and look back far enough in time in the application event log?

If your add-in was ever successfully loaded by Outlook there would be an entry for that event.  There would also be a later entry when the add-in was disabled.

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:07 PM
  • before testing I have reset the application event

then I did the test and I have found only 3 entries

nothing was about my addin 

Thursday, October 4, 2018 7:17 AM
  • That's interesting, considering Microsoft's guidance regarding logging of Outlook events to the Application Event log -- see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2617010/outlook-application-event-log-entries-for-add-in-load-time

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:57 AM
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:57 AM
  • from the link you provided I can find the 

Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Logging

to the following key

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Options\Logging
    DWORD: DisableAddinLogging
    Values: 0 (or missing DWORD) = Logging is enabled. 1 = Logging is disabled.

Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:14 PM
  • from the link you provided I can find the 

Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\Logging

to the following key

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\Options\Logging
    DWORD: DisableAddinLogging
    Values: 0 (or missing DWORD) = Logging is enabled. 1 = Logging is disabled.

Outlook logs by default unless you or someone else has changed the settings. 

Earlier you indicated that you saw event log entries for add-ins other than yours.

So do you still see log entries for the others?

• Edited by RLWA32 Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:39 PM expanded comments
    Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:29 PM
  • yes I still see logs from other addins but not mine.

office status says unloaded

Friday, October 5, 2018 1:10 PM
  • yes I still see logs from other addins but not mine.

office status says unloaded

If your add-in wasn't started then of course there would be no log entries.  You need to re-enable the add-in and then find the relevant entries that Outlook logs for it.
    Friday, October 5, 2018 1:12 PM
  • I try to reload but the add in remains unloaded and no log is shown to the windows log application 
    Friday, October 5, 2018 1:20 PM
  • I try to reload but the add in remains unloaded and no log is shown to the windows log application 

What does this mean?  Exactly what did you do to re-enable the add-in?

Friday, October 5, 2018 1:39 PM
  • the problem found. thank you for your help

to reenable an add in you need to go to the

File > Options > Add-ins > Manage: Disabled Items > Go

and enable the add-in

Then to load the add-in you should go to the

File > Options > Add-ins > Manage: COM Add-ins > Go

and tick add-in to be loaded

• Marked as answer by iglezos Friday, October 5, 2018 6:45 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 6:45 PM

and enable the add-in

As a matter of forum etiquette, you should mark the post that provided the solution as the answer, not your own post that repeats the guidance provided by others (directly or through links to documentation).

You still need to find the reason why your add-in was disabled.  Re-enabling the add-in is just a temporary measure so that Outlook starts the add-in and creates log entries.  Until you identify and resolve the underlying problem, the add-in will probably be disabled again.

Friday, October 5, 2018 6:51 PM

and enable the add-in

As a matter of forum etiquette, you should mark the post that provided the solution as the answer, not your own post that repeats the guidance provided by others (directly or through links to documentation).

You still need to find the reason why your add-in was disabled.  Re-enabling the add-in is just a temporary measure so that Outlook starts the add-in and creates log entries.  Until you identify and resolve the underlying problem, the add-in will probably be disabled again.

Sorry I did not want to offend you.
    The hint helped me find the solution was your question.

"What does this mean?  Exactly what did you do to re-enable the add-in?"

but the answer that will help others is the

the reason that disabled the add-in was a temporary bug when I was running the add-in through Visual Studio that was fixed but the add-in has already been disabled and I could not test it.

Friday, October 5, 2018 8:05 PM
  • Sorry I did not want to offend you.
    The hint helped me find the solution was your question.

"What does this mean?  Exactly what did you do to re-enable the add-in?"

but the answer that will help others is the

Above is the guidance contained in the links that I posted 8 minutes after the one that contained my "hint".

You haven't offended me.  But i don't believe you understand how the forum's recognition system works.  If you are interested, you can read about it at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/ff395928.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#_Recognition_System

• Edited by RLWA32 Friday, October 5, 2018 8:53 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 8:46 PM