Changing Service Accounts and Passwords RRS feed

• Question

• How can I change service accounts and passwords of some service accounts in sql 2008 using Sql configuration manager..

thanks in advance.. bluesapphire

Monday, June 7, 2010 2:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It may be installed in your machine --> start menu, administartive tools, Active Directory Users and Computers.

If service account is a local account the you can find it under the computer Management, local users and groups.

I hope it helps.

J.

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    • Edited by Janos BerkeMVP Monday, June 7, 2010 10:26 AM fixed typos
    • Marked as answer by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 11:08 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:25 AM
  • or you can execute DSA.MSC (Start --> RUN --> DSA.MSC) to open AD Users and Computers.
    SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue. Make sure, the AdminPack is installed on the same machine, if you want to check the domain account.
    • Edited by Sudeepta Ganguly Monday, June 7, 2010 10:41 AM added more info
    • Marked as answer by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 11:13 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:40 AM
  • If you are using a domain account for the SQL Server services, than there is a possibility to configure not to change the password.

Open the account properties using AD Users and Computers and open the User account properties page. Make sure User cannot change Password & Password Never Expires options are un-checked.

There are cretain environments where the administrators want to set the service account with the above options enabled.

Hope, this may help.

SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue.
    • Marked as answer by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 2:57 PM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:09 AM

All replies

• Monday, June 7, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Thanks Alberto..

I followed the steps mentioned in those sites however the WMI Provider Error appears.. showing:

The specified network password is not correct [0x80070056]

I am logged in as the administrator

I can't still change the password..

Regards,

Miralance

• Proposed as answer by Janos BerkeMVP Monday, June 7, 2010 9:09 AM
    • Edited by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 9:53 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Hi,

Error message says that the password is not correct for the user provided AFAIK. Make sure you are entering the password properly. Password is case sensitive.

I hope it helps.

J.

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Janos Berke,

I wanted to change the password of the service account but that is the message that appears so I can't change the old one.. However when I use the old password, it works. It just that I doesn't want to change the password..

Please help me with this on how to change the password.

Thanks.

Regards,

Miralance

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:17 AM
  • update: this article may help changing service account manually: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283811
    Monday, June 7, 2010 9:17 AM
  • If you are using a domain account for the SQL Server services, than there is a possibility to configure not to change the password.

Open the account properties using AD Users and Computers and open the User account properties page. Make sure User cannot change Password & Password Never Expires options are un-checked.

There are cretain environments where the administrators want to set the service account with the above options enabled.

Hope, this may help.

SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue.
    • Marked as answer by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 2:57 PM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Hello Miralance,

As Sudeepta wrote, please check AD account management first, then change the password at there. Once it is done, you can do the steps described above. If it is working with the old passowrd that means you have not changed the account password in AD. SQL Server configuration Manager does not change the user password in AD, but sets for the service.

I hope it helps.

J.

Monday, June 7, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Hi Janos,

Where is that AD account management?

thanks bro..

Miralance,

Monday, June 7, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

It may be installed in your machine --> start menu, administartive tools, Active Directory Users and Computers.

If service account is a local account the you can find it under the computer Management, local users and groups.

I hope it helps.

J.

• Edited by Janos BerkeMVP Monday, June 7, 2010 10:26 AM fixed typos
    • Marked as answer by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 11:08 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:25 AM
  • or you can execute DSA.MSC (Start --> RUN --> DSA.MSC) to open AD Users and Computers.
    SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue. Make sure, the AdminPack is installed on the same machine, if you want to check the domain account.
    • Edited by Sudeepta Ganguly Monday, June 7, 2010 10:41 AM added more info
    • Marked as answer by Miralance Monday, June 7, 2010 11:13 AM
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Hi Janos/Sudeepta,

Yeah, it worked.. thanks a lot bros..

Regards,

Miralance

Monday, June 7, 2010 11:08 AM