none
.bak file restoration between different editions reg,.

Question

• Hi,

Is it this a valid case that we can restore a DB backup taken from Standard edition to Enterprise Core edition? The SQL version is same 2014. Only the editions are different.

Also, I tried it but was not able to do. The issue I am seeing is, that .bak file itself is not shown in the folder which I had copied. when i browsed from enterprise core edition.

So, wanted to know if that is possible? thank you!

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

• Edited by Radhai Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:48 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:48 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You can always restore backups from a lower Edition to a higher Edition without any issues. From Enterprise down to Standard is also possible, as Long as you haven't used any Enterprise Feature in the database.

SSMS lists only backup files with *.BAK extentions. If you can't "see" it the use plain T-SQL to restore the file.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Radhai Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:14 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can always restore backups from a lower Edition to a higher Edition without any issues. From Enterprise down to Standard is also possible, as Long as you haven't used any Enterprise Feature in the database.

SSMS lists only backup files with *.BAK extentions. If you can't "see" it the use plain T-SQL to restore the file.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Radhai Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:14 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Hello,

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thank you! I made mistake in .BAK only so it dint show up. 

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:14 AM