Start Up Programs - How can I access programs in the Accessories folder?

Question

• I was unnable to execute programs in the Accesories folder of the Start Up menu from the Metro Screen . So I found a program 'w8DevPre SMT' that let you change from : Use Clasic Start Menu' to 'Use Metro Start Screen'.

The problem is that you have the following advise " Microsoft Confidential: unauthorized use or disclosure may result in disciplinary action.....".

O.K. I change to Use Clasic Start Menu and made a shortcut from : c:\users\myacount\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\windows\StartMenu\Programs 

and back to the Use Metro Start Screen. Now when I want to access programs in the Accesories folder, like wordpad, I click on the Desktop icon on Metro, go to the Desktop window and execute it.

More...

I cannot see as well Windows Update,Windows Media Player,XPS Viewer and Windows Fax and Scan, so I copied the programs from the programs Menu into the Desktop, to work with them

Note1.- I am doing all this in a VirtualBox over a Windows 7 Professional 7601

Note2.- I feel more confortable, for the moment, with the Clasic Start Menu than with Metro Screen because I am imaging a screen full of icons and maybe these icons should have subicons otherwise I will use Clasic instead but next summer is so far away that maybe windows8 will be windows 9

Is there a way to do it without this way of doing it?. Regards

programmer

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:39 PM

Answers

• It does not work for me

I tried but nothing.

Anyway I already have the 'runs' window in the task bar and in this way I can do what you say

Doesn't sound like it but you will need to be more descriptive about what you are seeing than "nothing" if you still need help.   ; }

Another related option would be pressing  Win-W  or  Win-F.   Doing any of those three all bring up the search pane.   Once the Search pane is showing you can switch modes (even from the quirky Search Internet Explorer view; then the other modes are at the bottom.  I just opened that one from my Desktop view using the Search in the right-hand Charm bar but I don't have a keyboard method yet of getting that view.)  It's just that there is no explicit shortcut for opening it in Search Apps mode.  You just get to the Start Screen (e.g. with either Win- or Ctrl-Esc) and start typing.   So, it is exactly analogous for W7 users to pressing Win- (or Ctrl-Esc) and starting typing in their Search bar and being limited to seeing selected stuff from their Start menu Program Files Control Panel etc.  In fact, in some ways it is clearer, because I suspect most W7 users don't realize that provided they know an exact file name to type they can find files to launch via their Start menu.   E.g. there is a search phase which can still be used when there is no apparent AutoComplete helping them.  Same thing with the Start Screen's' searches.   See my thread where Brian gave me this insight with regsvr32.exe as an example.

BTW if the problem is your Mac keyboard (neither Win- nor Ctrl-Esc getting you to the Start Screen) you should try adding the OnScreen Keyboard  (osk.exe)  to your Taskbar and do your keyboard shortcuts that way using your mouse (or touch).    

HTH

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by emari Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:24 PM

All replies

• I was unnable to execute programs in the Accesories folder of the Start Up menu from the Metro Screen .

when I want to access programs in the Accesories folder, like wordpad, I click on the Desktop icon on Metro, go to the Desktop window and execute it.

Try pressing Win- (or Ctrl-Esc, to get into the Start Screen) and then start typing:  W O R

What happens?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:46 AM
  • It does not work for me as I have an Imac with two systems (Apple and Windows). I have the VirtualBox in Windows and the keyboard is diferent then the normal pc. I tried but nothing. Anyway I already have the 'runs' window in the task bar and in this way I can do what you say but this is not for me a good way or working. I feel more confortable with the Start button of windows7 in windows8. Maybe Metro is good for tablets and touch screens but not for a normal use even when I have now the two but It is not a problem. I am making trials only, just to understand what Microsoft programmers have in mind. Should be good that when you go to Desktop from Metro, the normal Start up menu could be reached with the click of the right mouse to imitate the program I mentioned, and I am sure that Microsoft has to do something for the normal Start Up button with all the functionality be reached in some a way. Thanks any way for your replay.
    programmer
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:20 AM
  • It does not work for me

I tried but nothing.

Anyway I already have the 'runs' window in the task bar and in this way I can do what you say

Doesn't sound like it but you will need to be more descriptive about what you are seeing than "nothing" if you still need help.   ; }

Another related option would be pressing  Win-W  or  Win-F.   Doing any of those three all bring up the search pane.   Once the Search pane is showing you can switch modes (even from the quirky Search Internet Explorer view; then the other modes are at the bottom.  I just opened that one from my Desktop view using the Search in the right-hand Charm bar but I don't have a keyboard method yet of getting that view.)  It's just that there is no explicit shortcut for opening it in Search Apps mode.  You just get to the Start Screen (e.g. with either Win- or Ctrl-Esc) and start typing.   So, it is exactly analogous for W7 users to pressing Win- (or Ctrl-Esc) and starting typing in their Search bar and being limited to seeing selected stuff from their Start menu Program Files Control Panel etc.  In fact, in some ways it is clearer, because I suspect most W7 users don't realize that provided they know an exact file name to type they can find files to launch via their Start menu.   E.g. there is a search phase which can still be used when there is no apparent AutoComplete helping them.  Same thing with the Start Screen's' searches.   See my thread where Brian gave me this insight with regsvr32.exe as an example.

BTW if the problem is your Mac keyboard (neither Win- nor Ctrl-Esc getting you to the Start Screen) you should try adding the OnScreen Keyboard  (osk.exe)  to your Taskbar and do your keyboard shortcuts that way using your mouse (or touch).    

HTH

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by emari Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:24 PM