none
The correct way to mount an Azure Windows Share RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my goal:

• I'd like to have an Azure Windows Share folder that I can mount both in my Windows Azure VM and on my Local Computer.
    • I'd like to be able to read and write to files in this share from both the Azure VM and my Local Computer
    • I am not necessarily trying to use a VPN

Here is my starting point:

Here is my problem:

• I am confused on when it says to open Port 445. Port 445 appears to be open on the VM, but the share should be separate from the VM, correct? Where then am I supposed to open port 445? Is there a different machine that I should be accessing via PowerShell commands?

Also, is there another way to accomplish my goal (see "Here is my goal" section above") given where I am starting from?

Friday, August 16, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• The VM would access the file share using TCP/IP port 445 (that is, the VM will try to establish an outgoing connection to a remote machine - an azure storage one in this case - on that port). Windows VMs generally do not block this by default but you may have it blocked in the network security group for example (if any). Do try to mount the share from the VM and if it doesn't work, then make sure the communication is not blocked (tcping tool can be used for example)

To summarize - outgoing TCP connections against port 445 should not be blocked.

Hope that helps.

Monday, August 19, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:44 AM
  • @Michael Plautz Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:49 AM
  • @@Michael Plautz  Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Friday, August 23, 2019 6:49 AM