none
Remote Wipe and provisioning question.. RRS feed

• Question

• The remotewipe aspect of provisioning is a little hazy in the docs. here is the sequence of events i am observing
    • Client is waiting on a ping.
    • I am running exchange 2007, and issuing a remote wipe from OWA
    • Client returns a status of 7
    • Client issues a provision command
    • Server returns provision information, but with an additional RemoteWipe tag at the top level.
    At this point, things become a little confusing : How should the client acknowledge the RemoteWipe ?
    If the client sends the usual ack with the policy key and the status of 1, the server doesnt seem to recognize it (the wipe still shows pending).

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
    -g

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:53 AM

Answers

• The feedback I got from development is do something like this in your ack.

<Provision xmlns=\"Provision:\">
        <RemoteWipe>
            <Status>1</Status>
        </RemoteWipe>
    </Provision>

They also confirmed they will be adding a section to [MS-ASPROV] adding an example of the workflow of remoting wipe and acking it.
    Developer Consultant
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Hi Pazhanivel,

The remote wipe directive in active sync provisioning does not prescribe that precisely how to perform the wipe operation beyond:

[MS-ASPROV]

1.1 Glossary
    “remote wipe: Functionality that is implemented on a client, initiated by policy or a request from a server, that requires the client to delete all data and settings related to the referenced protocol.”

… and …

3.1.5.1.2.2 Acknowledging a Remote Wipe Directive
    “…The client SHOULD then destroy all data contained on the device, returning it to original factory settings. If it does not destroy all data contained on the device, the client MUST destroy all data that it has ever received from the server and erase any stored credentials used to access the server. The client SHOULD NOT wait for or rely on any specific response from the server before proceeding with the remote wipe.”

Therefore, it's up to the protocol client to decide what to do.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:21 PM

All replies

• Is your question specifically specifically to what what the ack should be as defined in [MS-ASHTTP] section 6.10 Provision-request?

Developer Consultant
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I did some further research as you have pointed out there is no content documenting the response. I will file a Technical Document Issue (TDI) to get this documented.  Once I get feedback from development I will post it.
    Developer Consultant
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:34 PM
  • Thanks Tom.
    To answer your earlier question, i specifically am looking for information on how to acknowledge a RemoteWipe provision directive. If i ack back with a normal client ack, the server gives me back another remote wipe directive. I would love to know how to tell the server that i am indeed going to wipe the device.
    This should ideally cause the server to send the wipe confirmation email.
    Hope that was helpful, i am somewhat blocked on this, so waiting eagerly for your response.
    thanks!
    -g
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I spoke with development and I'll let them know that you are blocked.  Thanks!

Developer Consultant
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:48 PM
  • The feedback I got from development is do something like this in your ack.

<Provision xmlns=\"Provision:\">
        <RemoteWipe>
            <Status>1</Status>
        </RemoteWipe>
    </Provision>

They also confirmed they will be adding a section to [MS-ASPROV] adding an example of the workflow of remoting wipe and acking it.
    Developer Consultant
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Thanks Tom,
    You are a lifesaver!
    -g
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:02 PM
  • What is provisioning to remote wipe mail box content (configured by company account) along with company App?
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Pazhanivel,

Thank your for your question.  An engineer from the Protocols team will reply soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi Pazhanivel,

The remote wipe directive in active sync provisioning does not prescribe that precisely how to perform the wipe operation beyond:

[MS-ASPROV]

1.1 Glossary
    “remote wipe: Functionality that is implemented on a client, initiated by policy or a request from a server, that requires the client to delete all data and settings related to the referenced protocol.”

… and …

3.1.5.1.2.2 Acknowledging a Remote Wipe Directive
    “…The client SHOULD then destroy all data contained on the device, returning it to original factory settings. If it does not destroy all data contained on the device, the client MUST destroy all data that it has ever received from the server and erase any stored credentials used to access the server. The client SHOULD NOT wait for or rely on any specific response from the server before proceeding with the remote wipe.”

Therefore, it's up to the protocol client to decide what to do.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:21 PM