none
Mapping Shares on Storage Account

Question

• From @BenjaminDavis22 via Twitter:

@AzureSupport Can users added to Storage account map shares? Or must all use the same Storage account name and access key?

@AzureSupport I want to map a drive to my Storage share but not use the same creds for every user.

Thanks!

@AzureSupport

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:01 PM

Answers

• Looks like this answers my question. Looks like this stuff is still pretty green and this piece is not built yet. 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/#file-storage-faq

Is Active Directory-based authentication supported by File storage?

We currently do not support AD-based authentication or ACLs, but do have it in our list of feature requests. For now, the Azure Storage account keys are used to provide authentication to the file share.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:24 PM

All replies

• I am evaluating Azure Storage for both file server data and backups of our server and PCs. I see how easy it is to map the share I created from my PC (even though documentation seems to state these shares are only available from Azure VMs), but to test this fully as a file server replacement for our small company, I would like to ensure I am securing it properly for my other Office 365 users. Their accounts are available in the Azure portal, so there appears to be a bit of glue between 365 and Azure. I added my own account as well as another employee's with two different access levels. My question is - can and should we map this share using our Office 365 credentials that I added in the Azure portal as users of the Storage account? If not, then should I be mapping every user using the same storage account name and access key, assuming the Users at the Storage account level are only for permissions at the Azure Portal level and not the SMB share level?

Thanks for helping me better understand this service!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:47 PM
  • Looks like this answers my question. Looks like this stuff is still pretty green and this piece is not built yet. 

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/#file-storage-faq

Is Active Directory-based authentication supported by File storage?

We currently do not support AD-based authentication or ACLs, but do have it in our list of feature requests. For now, the Azure Storage account keys are used to provide authentication to the file share.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:24 PM