.Net Framework 4.0 install failure & (possible) solution? RRS feed

• Question

• I repeatedly got the following error messages when attempting to install .Net Framework 4.0 on Windows 7 Professional x64:

Log Name:      Setup
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WUSA
    Event ID:      3
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords: 

Description:
    Windows update  could not be installed because of error 2359302 "" (Command line: "wusa.exe "C:\79021cf737df094c5735\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu" /quiet /norestart")

This error was listed in the msi install log:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile -- Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

I was able to get the framework installed by going into the MSIServer registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSIServer) and changing WOW64 from 1 to 0.  I haven't been able to locate any good documentation for this value & its purpose, is this an acceptable way of getting this installed, and will it cause any problems in the future?  Should I change the value back to 1?  I have other machines with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installed that did not have any problems with the 4.0 framework installation.

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Spencerberus,

Thank you for your post.

It seems that some cause blocks the Windows Installer Service.

Firstly, please make sure that you're only running one setup at one time.

Then please check that the Windows Installer service is set to manual but not disable via the following steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list, and then click OK.
    4. Click the File menu, and then click Exit.

If it's already set right, try to repair Windows Installer:

1. Run regedit (Start > Run > Regedit)
    2. Go to the location
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
    3. Right click on this key and select "Export" to save the backup .reg file for late use
    4. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    5. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow
      Do not reboot when complete
    6. Double click saved .reg file from working machine and import registry
      settings into Vista.
    7. Reboot
    For more information about System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) usage on Windows 7.
    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

And re-registering the Windows Installer service by typing "msiexec /unregister" and then "msiexec /regserver" in the command prompt.
    Also, the System account should have "Full Control" permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive of the registry.

If it still doesn't work, for x64 OS, could you please try the workaround from the following Windows Installer issue?
    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/143101-windows-installer-service-could-not-accessed-error-1719-a.html

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, April 23, 2010 5:02 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Thanks for responding on the forums and asking the question.

It would be great if you can share the .NET4 setup logs from your machine. Refer to following link for instructions to generate a zip file of logs.http://blogs.msdn.com/varungupta/archive/2009/10/26/instructions-to-collect-net-framework-4-and-visual-studio-2010-beta-setup-logs.aspx

Please share the zip file of logs on skydrive.com and share a link.

Thanks once again,

Varun Gupta

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:07 PM

All replies

• I repeatedly got the following error messages when attempting to install .Net Framework 4.0 on Windows 7 Professional x64:

Log Name:      Setup
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WUSA
    Event ID:      3
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords: 

Description:
    Windows update  could not be installed because of error 2359302 "" (Command line: "wusa.exe "C:\79021cf737df094c5735\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu" /quiet /norestart")

This error was listed in the msi install log:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile -- Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

I was able to get the framework installed by going into the MSIServer registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSIServer) and changing WOW64 from 1 to 0.  I haven't been able to locate any good documentation for this value & its purpose, is this an acceptable way of getting this installed, and will it cause any problems in the future?  Should I change the value back to 1?  I have other machines with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate installed that did not have any problems with the 4.0 framework installation.

• Merged by YiChun Chen Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:20 PM Duplicate
    Friday, April 16, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Friday, April 16, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Thanks for responding on the forums and asking the question.

It would be great if you can share the .NET4 setup logs from your machine. Refer to following link for instructions to generate a zip file of logs.http://blogs.msdn.com/varungupta/archive/2009/10/26/instructions-to-collect-net-framework-4-and-visual-studio-2010-beta-setup-logs.aspx

Please share the zip file of logs on skydrive.com and share a link.

Thanks once again,

Varun Gupta

Friday, April 16, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Can you check if the Update or .Net framework 4.0 was properly installed finally on your system or not:

For checking go to: Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs & Features -> Installed Updates

I have already posted a link for downloading the proper installer for 4.0 framework.

The error message that is shown lets us know that the attempt to install the update has failed.

BR, PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hi Spencerberus,

Thank you for your post.

It seems that some cause blocks the Windows Installer Service.

Firstly, please make sure that you're only running one setup at one time.

Then please check that the Windows Installer service is set to manual but not disable via the following steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list, and then click OK.
    4. Click the File menu, and then click Exit.

If it's already set right, try to repair Windows Installer:

1. Run regedit (Start > Run > Regedit)
    2. Go to the location
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
    3. Right click on this key and select "Export" to save the backup .reg file for late use
    4. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    5. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow
      Do not reboot when complete
    6. Double click saved .reg file from working machine and import registry
      settings into Vista.
    7. Reboot
    For more information about System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) usage on Windows 7.
    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

And re-registering the Windows Installer service by typing "msiexec /unregister" and then "msiexec /regserver" in the command prompt.
    Also, the System account should have "Full Control" permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive of the registry.

If it still doesn't work, for x64 OS, could you please try the workaround from the following Windows Installer issue?
    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/143101-windows-installer-service-could-not-accessed-error-1719-a.html

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 1:23 PM
  • as far as I know the error code "2359302" simply means that the hotfix is already installed.

using your example, if you check for the hotfix KB958488 on your system, it is already installed. Also if you double-click the MSU file, you'll get a message that it is already installed.

If the .Net Framework 4.0 setup fails with this error shown, this is a bug. Workaround: uninstall the mentioned hotfix before starting .Net 4.0 installation.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:24 PM
  •  Hello,

I have trouble installing the KB2468871 Update, I get Error Code 643

So far i tried the following:

uninstall .Net Framework completely and reinstall it manually

set UAC - never notify

Tryed:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/code-643-windows-updates-stop-halfway-through-the/597bd66c-1f15-4d5a-a28e-0679441361b1

even the clean boot mentioned there

idea? reinstall?

I have noticed that the installer creates a folder not on my c drive?! Is there a way to reset the default folder for this to c: ?

• Edited by daslicht Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:06 PM
  • I just cleaned up the .NetFramework installation and reinstalled it manually ... Still get that error grr
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I fixed this problem by the MS Fixit tool by selecting Aggressive mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:42 AM
  • I tried the command without the /quite parameter. The message is then more explicit: the msu has already been applied. Therefore you can ignore this message.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 4:01 PM