CD/DVD drive not recognised

Question

• CD/DVD drive does not appear in device manager in Windows developer review while windows 7 (in the same computer) has no problem.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• References Windows 7, but you could try it in Windows 8:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Fix It for missing CD/DVD drive:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:37 PM
  • hi,

I had the same strange issue. I tried a whole lot of things before I could find the solution.

Surprisingly the same DVD/CD drive through which I installed the Win8 Developer preview was not visible inside Explorer. Infact the CD/DVD ROM section itself was not seen inside Device Manager. 

Below are the things which I tried (Unsuccessful)

1. Reboot with IDE cables changed. (Master Slave Interchanged)

2. Used a Sony DVD RW instead of NEC

3. Used Clone Drive to artificially create the DVD/CD section in Device Manager and then tried to scan for new hardware, to see if it detects.

4. Tried looking for Upper & Lower filters, but Win8 does not seem to have these filter. I manually tried creating and then deleting (with reboots)

5. Try to manually add new hardware (but could not located DVD sections in list of hardware)

Finally, I saw in a forum about aborting the boot process while win8 is booting from DVD. That seem to work.

Here is what you have to do.

a) Make sure you have Win8 bootable DVD in the drive, Enable CD/DVD ROM boot in BIOS, to present you the boot options to boot from CD/DVD

b) Choose to boot from the DVD

c) while is loading files is midway, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete

d) This will restart the boot process and will load Windows8 the normal way, and there you will see your DVD drives listed in Explorer (finally :-)

you can continue to use the DVD drive, just like you like it. 

But Important Note: This is a temporary fix, meaning it only stays till you boot again :-(, if you need your drive again, you have repeat the above steps.

I think I need a little more time to figure out how to make Win8 load the drivers everytime. Will keep posting :-)

good luck!

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:11 AM