none
Context menu in Outlook while right clicking the mailitem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed my add-in using the Ribbon designer. Now my requirement is to add a menu in the context menu while the user right-clicks on the mail item.

I seen that it is possible to use the Ribbon XML for this context but as I already load a ribbonUI using the designer, the Ribbon XML is not initializing while right-clicking the mail item.

Is that possible to develop a context menu using the visual designer? Please post your thoughts or provide some reference.

Thanks in Advance.

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:04 PM

Answers

• You have to use ribbon XML for context menus, and you can't mix and match. If you need to handle context menus don't use the designer and design your ribbon using XML.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Senthil Kumar, MCA" <=?utf-8?B?U2VudGhpbCBLdW1hciwgTUNB?=> wrote in message news:70c4ce85-25f3-4644-b964-69a3549907d6...

Hi,

I have developed my add-in using the Ribbon designer. Now my requirement is to add a menu in the context menu while the user right-clicks on the mail item.

I seen that it is possible to use the Ribbon XML for this context but as I already load a ribbonUI using the designer, the Ribbon XML is not initializing while right-clicking the mail item.

Is that possible to develop a context menu using the visual designer? Please post your thoughts or provide some reference.

Thanks in Advance.

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Your choice, but using ribbon XML is far more flexible and gives you many more options and much more power over the ribbon than the designer ever will. I know of no limitations in using the ribbon XML compared to the designer, but many comparing the designer to using XML.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Senthil Kumar, MCA" <=?utf-8?B?U2VudGhpbCBLdW1hciwgTUNB?=> wrote in message news:62857d76-bd62-4fac-aa91-484d4f645379...

Hi Ken,

Thanks for quick response. Because of certain limitations I faced while using the Ribbon XML, I switched to the Ribbon Designer. I cannot use the XML again. I understood that I cannot mix-n-match with the ribbon designer and XML as only one item is initializing.

Will try to find other solutions.

Thanks and Regards,

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• You have to use ribbon XML for context menus, and you can't mix and match. If you need to handle context menus don't use the designer and design your ribbon using XML.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Senthil Kumar, MCA" <=?utf-8?B?U2VudGhpbCBLdW1hciwgTUNB?=> wrote in message news:70c4ce85-25f3-4644-b964-69a3549907d6...

Hi,

Thanks in Advance.

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for quick response. Because of certain limitations I faced while using the Ribbon XML, I switched to the Ribbon Designer. I cannot use the XML again. I understood that I cannot mix-n-match with the ribbon designer and XML as only one item is initializing.

Thanks and Regards,

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Your choice, but using ribbon XML is far more flexible and gives you many more options and much more power over the ribbon than the designer ever will. I know of no limitations in using the ribbon XML compared to the designer, but many comparing the designer to using XML.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Senthil Kumar, MCA" <=?utf-8?B?U2VudGhpbCBLdW1hciwgTUNB?=> wrote in message news:62857d76-bd62-4fac-aa91-484d4f645379...

Hi Ken,

Thanks and Regards,

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, December 14, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I got it working using XML. The old issues I thought that it will pamper the application if I use XML also I resolved in XML itself.

Thanks and Regards,

Senthil Kumar Mohan

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:29 PM